RubyKaigi is seeking sub-event proposals for RubyKaigi 2010
[[http://rubykaigi.org/2010/]]. If you have an idea that doesn’t fit
the usual “presentation” format and would like to run it as part of
RubyKaigi 2010 in Tsukuba, Japan this year, we’d love to hear from
= So, what is a sub-event?
Here are a few events that have been held at RubyKaigi and other Ruby
conferences in the past that we consider to be good examples of a
- JRubyConf: A conference focused on JRuby, held after RubyConf 2009
at the same venue.
- RubyConf5k: A 5km running(!) race held during RubyConf 2009
- Regional RubyKaigi Kaigi: An open meeting (“kaigi”) held at
RubyKaigi 2009 where Regional conference organizers got together to
discuss the organization of regional events
- Mini-conferences focused on individual open source Ruby projects:
mini-conferences for tDiary, jpmobile and Termtter were held during
- Ruby Implementors meeting, a gathering for Ruby committers and
implementors held during RubyKaigi 2008
- Workshops and hackathons: hands-on Ruby on Rails, Origami tutorials,
= How to Submit a Proposal
A web page for proposal submissions is currently under preparation. We
will make another announcement with submission details when we are
ready to accept proposals. Don’t let that stop you from planning a
sub-event proposal, though!
The applicant will need to supply the following information.
- Title of the event
- Name, affiliation and e-mail address of the organizer/instructor(s)
- Description of the event
- Expected number of participants (for planning rooms and layout)
– We plan to use (subdivide) Conference Room 201 for sub-events.
– See [[http://www.epochal.or.jp/eng/floor_guide/index.html]] for
- Any required equipment
- proposed length of the event in hours (up to 6 hours)
- Any additional information
We are looking forward to getting some interesting proposals!
= Some ground rules…
- We plan to provide several desks and a projector for each sub-event.
We may be able to provide Wi-Fi internet access, but we can’t
guarantee its availability.
- You are responsible to prepare and clean up the room for your event.
RubyKaigi 2010 staff will not be available to assist your preparation
- We might hold a meeting for sub-event organizers in advance of
RubyKaigi 2010. We would appreciate it if you were able to attend.
= Important Dates
Wednesday, 28th April, 2010
Announcement of selection results:
During May, 2010
Friday, 27th August - Sunday, 29th August
= Selection Process
The sub-events will be selected by the staff of RubyKaigi 2010.
= About RubyKaigi 2010
RubyKaigi is the premiere annual Ruby conference in Japan. RubyKaigi
2010 will be run for 3 days, from Friday, 27th August through to
Sunday, 29th August. RubyKaigi 2010 will be held in Tsukuba City, near
Tokyo, at the same venue as RubyKaigi 2008.
If you have any questions, please email us at 2010 at rubykaigi.org.
For further details and news, please refer to our website: