Rubygems-update 1.5.0 Released

rubygems-update version 1.5.0 has been released!

RubyGems is a package management framework for Ruby.

This gem is an update for the RubyGems software. You must have an
installation of RubyGems before this update can be applied.

See Gem for information on RubyGems (or ri Gem)

To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

$ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

See UPGRADING.rdoc for more details and alternative instructions.


NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
“gem-prelude”. It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you’re running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.

If you absolutely hate kittens and you must upgrade, you’re going to
have to do something really hokey like:

% alias ruby19=“ruby19 --disable-gems”
% alias gem19=“ruby19 --disable-gems -S gem”

Even deleting the stock rubygems in 1.9 doesn’t fix this situation.


If you don’t have any RubyGems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to
getting software, doing it manually:

For more details and other options, see:

ruby setup.rb --help

Changes:

1.5.0 / 2011-01-31

Major Enhancements:

  • Finally fixed all known 1.9.x issues. Upgrading is now possible!
  • Merged huge 1.3.7/ruby-core changes to master.

Minor Enhancements:

  • Added UPGRADING.rdoc to help deal with 1.9 issues.
  • Gem::Format now gives better errors for corrupt gem files and includes
    paths
  • Pre-install hooks can now abort gem installation by returning false
  • Move shareable TestCase classes to lib/ to help plugin authors with
    tests.
  • Add post-build hooks that can cancel the gem install
  • Always require custom_require now that require_gem is gone
  • Added GemInstaller accessors for @options so plugins can reference
    them.
  • Optimized Gem.find_files. ~10% faster than 1.4.2. ~40% faster than
    ruby 1.9.
  • Gem::SilentUI now behaves like Gem::StreamUI for asking questions.
    Patch by
    Erik H…

Bug Fixes:

  • gem update was implicitly doing --system.
  • 1.9.3: Fixed encoding errors causing gem installs to die during rdoc
    phase.
  • Add RubyForge URL to README. Closes #28825
  • 1.9.3: Use chdir {} when building extensions to prevent warnings.
    Fixes #4337
  • 1.9.2: Fix circular require warning.
  • Make requiring openssl even lazier at request of NaHi
  • gem unpack will now download the gem if it is not in the cache.
    Patch by
    Erik H…
  • rubygems-update lists its development dependencies again

On Jan 31, 2011, at 17:29, Eric H. wrote:

NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
“gem-prelude”. It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you’re running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.

Oops! I forgot to remove this section from the README before release.
This only applies to 1.4.

RubyGems 1.5 will install on 1.9.2

This update seems to break Bundler…

$ bundle update
(01-02-11 08:34)
/home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/ui.rb:56:in
<class:UI>': uninitialized constant Gem::SilentUI (NameError) from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/ui.rb:2:inmodule:Bundler
from
/home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/ui.rb:1:in
<top (required)>' from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/cli.rb:16:ininitialize’
from
/home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/vendor/thor.rb:246:in
new' from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/vendor/thor.rb:246:indispatch’
from
/home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/base.rb:389:in
start' from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/gems/bundler-1.0.9/bin/bundle:13:in<top (required)>’
from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/bin/bundle:19:in load' from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/[email protected]/bin/bundle:19:in

:frowning:

Jits

2011/2/1 Jrg W Mittag [email protected]:

Eric H. wrote:

On Jan 31, 2011, at 17:29, Eric H. wrote:

NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
“gem-prelude”. It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you’re running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.
Oops! I forgot to remove this section from the README before release. This
only applies to 1.4.

RubyGems 1.5 will install on 1.9.2

Thanks very much. This is great news!

jwm

On 1 fvr. 2011, at 09:37, Jiten B. wrote:

This update seems to break Bundler…

Quote from
http://www.rubyinside.com/rubygems-1-5-0-released-now-supports-ruby-1-9-2-4240.html

“RubyGems 1.5.0 and Bundler are not the best of friends! If you’re
depending on Bundler tonight, don’t install RubyGems 1.5.0 just yet.
However, a 1.5 compatible version of Bundler is due within the next 24
hours.”

It works with ironruby also!!!

Thank you very much for all the effort

Eduardo B.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Eric H. [email protected] wrote:

rubygems-update version 1.5.0 has been released!

we see that you’ve remove gem mirror.
how can we mirror then?

thanks for rubygem
best regards -botp

Thanks Luc!

Updating to the latest Bundler (v1.0.10) has resolved this.

Jits

On Feb 1, 10:58pm, botp [email protected] wrote:

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Eric H. [email protected] wrote:

rubygems-update version 1.5.0 has been released!

we see that you’ve remove gem mirror.
how can we mirror then?

https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems-mirror

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Luis L. [email protected]
wrote:

https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems-mirror

thanks, luis. author says it’s unstable, and install doc says not yet.

best regards -botp

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs