From: Diego V. [email protected]
Subject: Ruby/Tk version?
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 01:54:06 +0900

what version of Tk does Ruby 1.9.1 uses? And if they are not uptodate,
any plan to bring it to the latest version?

You’ll be able to use any version of Tcl/Tk. If not, it is a bug.
However, you have to use a tcltklib.so which compiled for your Tcl/Tk
libraries.

Ruby/Tk uses YOUR Tcl/Tk libs on YOUR environment.
A tcltklib.so is compatible among the minor versions of Tcl/Tk.
When you used Tcl/Tk8.4.x with Ruby/Tk and update Tcl/Tk to 8.4.y,
your Ruby/Tk will work with Tcl/Tk8.4.y.
If your tcltklib.so is compiled with “–enable-tcltk-stubs”
(see /ext/tk/README.tcltklib) for Tcl/Tk8.4.x,
it may work with Tcl/Tk8.5.x or 8.6.x.

I’m sorry, but I’ve not checked Tcl/Tk8.6. I think that it will work.

But current Ruby/Tk doesn’t have wrapper methods for some of new

features of Tcl/Tk8.6.

If you want to use such features now, please use Tk.tk_call().

That is the reason of why Ruby/Tk is distributed without Tcl/Tk libs.
You don’t need to install a different version of Tcl/Tk for Ruby/Tk
only.
You’ll be able to use the latest version of Tcl/Tk without waiting
a new Ruby/Tk release.
And you can use Tcl/Tk extensions installed for your Tcl/Tk on Ruby/Tk.
Even if there is no wrapper method for Tcl/Tk functions which you want
to use, you can call the functions with Tk.tk_call() or Tk.ip_eval().

On Mar 6, 2:50 am, Hidetoshi NAGAI [email protected] wrote:

If your tcltklib.so is compiled with “–enable-tcltk-stubs”
(see /ext/tk/README.tcltklib) for Tcl/Tk8.4.x,
it may work with Tcl/Tk8.5.x or 8.6.x.

So is there any argument for not always using
“–enable-tcltk-stubs” ?

– Maurice

From: mdiam [email protected]
Subject: Re: Ruby/Tk version?
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 05:48:27 +0900

If your tcltklib.so is compiled with “–enable-tcltk-stubs”
(see /ext/tk/README.tcltklib) for Tcl/Tk8.4.x,
it may work with Tcl/Tk8.5.x or 8.6.x.
So is there any argument for not always using
“–enable-tcltk-stubs” ?

Histrical reason. :wink: A “stub” system is supported Tcl8.1 or later.
And, I think, “disable-stubs” is a little safer than “enable-stubs”.