Ruby/RoR problem, openssl.so, undefined symbol, update ruby 1.8.7->1.9.1

Env: SUSE LINUX 10.1 (X86-64)

with Ruby 1.8.7-p72, RoR
I can get welcome screen, but after that always get
Memory Fault

Then I installed current stable
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-12-29 revision 0) [x86_64-linux]
ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/
openssl.so: undefined symbol: EVP_MD_CTX_md
I founded some ssl.rb test, it give:
ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/
openssl.so: undefined symbol: EVP_CIPHER_CTX_cipher

I also installed
http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/download.html
same error

Then installed snapshot
ruby 1.9.1 (2009-01-04 patchlevel-5000 trunk 21288) [x86_64-linux]
same problem …

I’m real newbie with Ruby/RoR, this was my 1st install (trying) to
create RoR environment.

After this I updated RoR
gem install -v=2.2.2 rails

Then rest was …#)&%

rails new
rails/new>script/server
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:153:in require': no such file to load -- test/unit/error (MissingSourceFile) from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/ lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:153:inblock in require’
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/
lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in new_constants_in' from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/ lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:153:inrequire’
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/
lib/active_support/deprecation.rb:224:in <top (required)>' from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/ lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:153:inrequire’
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/
lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:153:in block in require' from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/ lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:521:innew_constants_in’
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/
lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:153:in require' from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/ lib/active_support.rb:37:in<top (required)>’
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/
commands/server.rb:1:in require' from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/ commands/server.rb:1:in<top (required)>’
from script/server:3:in require' from script/server:3:in

Somebody said for me that RoR is nice, maybe ? But heavy job put to
work.

jukkai_fi wrote:

Env: SUSE LINUX 10.1 (X86-64)

with Ruby 1.8.7-p72, RoR
I can get welcome screen, but after that always get
Memory Fault

Then I installed current stable
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-12-29 revision 0) [x86_64-linux]
ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/
openssl.so: undefined symbol: EVP_MD_CTX_md
I founded some ssl.rb test, it give:
ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/
openssl.so: undefined symbol: EVP_CIPHER_CTX_cipher

Your problem is that the openssl library installed on your system is too
old. Update that to the latest version and this problem should go away.

ROR is great!
look more informations about how to install rails…see the following
link
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtosInstallation

Your problem is that the openssl library installed on your system is too
old. Update that to the latest version and this problem should go away.

This was “interesting process” - I hate some distros …, Suse 10.1 is
one of those

I updated Suse openssl using
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/x86_64/update/10.2/rpm/x86_64/

I also tried openssl using source, but ruby making say something about
“use -fPIC flag compiling openssl …”
I was used …

Now I have some working ruby + RoR environment, even little old. Maybe
this is enough for me to test RoR possibilities.
I tested also blog, using db postgreSql 8.3.5

  • works fine, but encoding set not work … active_record pg not use
    database.yum encoding setting ?
  • edited manually
    /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record/
    connection_adapters
    utf8 -> latin1 and now it works …

I think that if your pg instance has created latin1, then database
must be also latin1. Ex. sorting and indexing use instance character
set and locales
Ex. I have created using --locale=fi_FI --lc-collate=sv_SE
initdb -E LATIN1 --locale=fi_FI --lc-collate=sv_SE

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started_with_rails.htm
was the most helpful for me to create RoR env and first servers.

-jukka-

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs