Ruby PDA implementation?


#1

I asked this question a couple of months ago, and now am throwing it
out there again in case anything has changed. Has anyone out there
successfully ported Ruby over to the Windows Mobile platform yet?
Following the instructions in the wince folder of the Ruby source I
still cannot get it cross compiled using Microsoft Embedded MSVC Tools.
I have tried to no avail using various Ruby 1.8.x sources and the Ruby
1.6.8 source. Just curious if someone else is having better luck than
I…


#2

Just blogged an article describing what I did to get Ruby running on my
iPAQ:
http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/ruby-on-ipaq-pocket-pc.html


#3

removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

Just blogged an article describing what I did to get Ruby running on my
iPAQ:
http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/ruby-on-ipaq-pocket-pc.html

I did this as well. The problem is that I receive Wince::Strerror error
messages when doing various things — from executing a Ruby script
from the command line (like using ‘ruby myScript.rb’) to parsing xmlrpc
calls. It seems as if these binaries aren’t compatible with my Dell
Axim x50 handheld. It has an ARM processor and it uses Windows Mobile
5.0. But for some reason the handling of strings isn’t being done
correctly.

What OS is running on your iPaq? Can you successfully run Ruby scripts
from the command line? I can do things like ruby -e “print ‘hello,
world!’” but that’s about it without the Wince::Strerror messages. And
trying to cross-compile Ruby for Wince using Embedded MSVC fails due to
one compilation error or another using the sources for Ruby 1.8.1 all
the way through Ruby 1.8.4 :frowning:


#4

gregarican wrote:

I did this as well. The problem is that I receive Wince::Strerror error
messages when doing various things — from executing a Ruby script
from the command line (like using ‘ruby myScript.rb’) to parsing xmlrpc
calls. It seems as if these binaries aren’t compatible with my Dell
Axim x50 handheld.

Here are a couple of links to my troubles I have had so far:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/98944ff6113c68ed/7a7bcfd1fd2f0ecb?q=wince%3A%3Astrerror&rnum=1#7a7bcfd1fd2f0ecb

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/c456a39be9e5457a/cfb29f994cf837ad?q=wince%3A%3Astrerror&rnum=2#cfb29f994cf837ad


#5

Jason Stell wrote:

Greg:

I’m running an iPAQ 5550 with an ARM processor and WinCE 2003.
I can call scripts successfully. For instance, the utility script I just
posted about works fine:
http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/unique-properties-revisited.html

Perhaps it’s a difference in the OS version. My Axim is running Windows
Mobile 5.0, so maybe there is a difference in the way that it handles
string values being passed. Thanks for the replies!


#6

Greg:

I’m running an iPAQ 5550 with an ARM processor and WinCE 2003.
I can call scripts successfully. For instance, the utility script I just
posted about works fine:
http://jason.stell.us/2006/01/unique-properties-revisited.html


#7

Hello

I am going to reply to this even do it is an old thread.

I don’t know how to explain this correclty but I know the solution to
the Wince::Strerror error.

It is because the filesystem of windows mobile is different then you
think.
from pocketconsole I did this.

cd storage card\ruby\bin
ruby.exe hello.rb

hello.rb ruby is a file in the map “storage card\ruby\bin”
this gives me the error, what I thought at first is that there is an
error in the hello.rb file, however it means the file cannot be found.
because of the strange filesytem (it doesn’t support relative paths)
you have to do this.

cd storage card\ruby\bin
ruby.exe “storage card\ruby\bin\hello.rb”

Now it will run correctly.
For me at least.

What also worked for me is this

cd storage card\ruby\bin
ruby.exe -e “require ‘hello.rb’”

what strange is that in this require relative paths do work.
however if I put File.open “lalala.txt” stuff in hello.rb, then the file
is not as expected created in storage card\ruby\bin but in the root of
the ipaq.

Well I hope this is the solution of the problem for you, cause ruby on
the pda rocks (I can know because I have ruby on the pda since yesterday
:p)

btw I’m using an ipaq 1940 with windows mobile 2003 (maby SE but not
sure)

It is windows CE 4.20 according to Asset viewer.