Ruby or Rails bug?


#1

In irb all works fine:

irb

irb(main):001:0> require ‘rubygems’
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require ‘raspell’
=> true
irb(main):003:0> speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
=> #Aspell:0x7f8692c9d158
irb(main):004:0> speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
=> “normal”
irb(main):005:0> speller.check(“лошадь”)
=> true

But same in Rails project:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘raspell’

def xxx
speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
@xxx = speller.check(“лошадь”).to_s
end

@xxx is false! Why?


#2

Fresh M. wrote:

In irb all works fine:

irb

irb(main):001:0> require ‘rubygems’
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require ‘raspell’
=> true
irb(main):003:0> speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
=> #Aspell:0x7f8692c9d158
irb(main):004:0> speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
=> “normal”
irb(main):005:0> speller.check(“лошадь”)
=> true

But same in Rails project:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘raspell’

def xxx
speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
@xxx = speller.check(“лошадь”).to_s
end

@xxx is false! Why?

Maybe:

@xxx = false

def xxx
@xxx = true
end

puts @xxx

–output:–
false


#3

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Fresh M.
removed_email_address@domain.invalidwrote:

irb(main):004:0> speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
@xxx = speller.check(“лошадь”).to_s
end

@xxx is false! Why?

In Ruby, when one tries to access an instance variable directly, which
is
always private by default, the return value is nil until it has been
properly initialized. You can access instance variables using an
accessor
on a class. In any case, I recommend that you get a copy of
“Programming
Ruby” or “Programming Ruby 1.9” and read the section on “Scope of
Constant
and Variables”.

Good luck,

-Conrad


#4

Frederick C. wrote:

On May 3, 2:09Â pm, Fresh M. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘raspell’

def xxx
 speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
 speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
 @xxx = speller.check(“лошадь”).to_s
end

If your script contains only those lines then this is normal - you’ve
defined an xxx method but you haven’t called it.

Fred

I have <%= @xxx %> on view, and it prints false.

Also I have tested many words from model, and all was false.

for row in @results
if speller.check(row[“word”])

I have this problen only with russian words, english works fine.


#5

On May 3, 2:09Â pm, Fresh M. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘raspell’

def xxx
 speller = Aspell.new(“ru_RU”)
 speller.suggestion_mode = Aspell::NORMAL
 @xxx = speller.check(“лошадь”).to_s
end

If your script contains only those lines then this is normal - you’ve
defined an xxx method but you haven’t called it.

Fred


#6

On May 3, 6:19 pm, Fresh M. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

I have <%= @xxx %> on view, and it prints false.

Also I have tested many words from model, and all was false.

for row in @results
if speller.check(row[“word”])

I have this problen only with russian words, english works fine.

You should have said that from the start :-). This points to an
encoding problem, eg the default encoding used to read your source
file being different from whatever was being used by irb (which may
depend on terminal settings etc).

Fred


#7

Fresh M. wrote:

Frederick C. wrote:

You should have said that from the start :-). This points to an
encoding problem, eg the default encoding used to read your source

Database is in UTF-8, but it aslo doesn’t work if word is in controller
sourse: speller.check(“лошадь”)

So how can I test different encodings?

What version of ruby are you using with rails? Are you using a
different version of ruby for your irb tests?


#8

Frederick C. wrote:

You should have said that from the start :-). This points to an
encoding problem, eg the default encoding used to read your source

Database is in UTF-8, but it aslo doesn’t work if word is in controller
sourse: speller.check(“лошадь”)

So how can I test different encodings?


#9

7stud – wrote:

Fresh M. wrote:

Frederick C. wrote:

You should have said that from the start :-). This points to an
encoding problem, eg the default encoding used to read your source

Database is in UTF-8, but it aslo doesn’t work if word is in controller
sourse: speller.check(“лошадь”)

So how can I test different encodings?

What version of ruby are you using with rails? Are you using a
different version of ruby for your irb tests?

I think, it is same, because I have only ruby 1.8.7 installed.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [x86_64-linux]


#10

resh Mix wrote:

I think, it is same, because I have only ruby 1.8.7 installed.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [x86_64-linux]

Ok. ruby 1.8.* doesn’t understand multi-byte/unicode characters, like
russian characters. ruby thinks that every character is an ascii
character, where one byte equals one character. However, you aren’t
asking a ruby method to do anything with your string–you are calling an
aspell method. Is there any reason to believe that aspell can recognize
a character that is made up of several bytes?

As for irb, personally I never use the command line interactive mode in
any language because after a few times spending hours trying to figure
out why the results in interactive mode were different than in a
program, I determined that I would never waste time doing that again.
The only output that matters is your program’s output. Forget about
what irb says and instead write a small example program when testing
things out.

If you write a small program, with the same content as irb, do you get
true or false for your aspell calculations?


#11

pharrington wrote:

Anyway, by default Rails will set the encoding to UTF8 (just put
Rails.logger.debug “Kcode: #{$KCODE}” to confirm this is the case for
you). To see what encoding is working properly, just check the
$KCODE global from irb. Then set that accordingly in your
environment.rb and restart your app.

Setting $KCODE to “u” in a ruby program is not a cure all. Not all the
ruby methods will suddenly recognize that characters consist of
multi-bytes. For instance,

$KCODE = “n”

str = “лошадь”
puts str.length

$KCODE = “u”

puts str.length

–output:–
12
12

If $KCODE were a cure all, they(Matz, et al) would just switch it on in
permanently, and the unicode problems would disappear.


#12

can any solve this problem?


#13

Anyway, by default Rails will set the encoding to UTF8 (just put
Rails.logger.debug “Kcode: #{$KCODE}” to confirm this is the case for
you). To see what encoding is working properly, just check the
$KCODE global from irb. Then set that accordingly in your
environment.rb and restart your app.


#14

Fresh M. wrote:

can any solve this problem?

Help ???