Ruby or Python for a cross platform command line project?

Hi,

I want to create a cross platform command line application. I don’t know
if I must to choose Python or Ruby. I want do minimize tools that the
user must to install to use the application.

Python is installed with Ubuntu. It’s not the case of Ruby. There is
nothing in Windows and I don’t know for Mac.

I prefer Ruby but I like Python too. Is there a reason to choose Ruby
over Python?

Do you think it’s important to minimize dependencies to install for a
command line tools?

Thanks!

Python or Ruby for cross platform cmd line project …
Both are likely to work. It depends on your project details.

Marc W.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM, guirec c. [email protected] wrote:

over Python?

If you prefer to work using Ruby, then use Ruby. I hope that you are not
just going to develop the application but also maintain it. So i suggest
you write in the language you are most comfortable with.

To install a big dependency for a little project is not a problem for
you?

Depends on the functionality, actually. If the application is good, i
won’t
mind. Besides if you are releasing a debian or rpm package for your
tool,
then that will take care of the dependencies.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM, guirec c. [email protected] wrote:

I want to create a cross platform command line application. I don’t know
if I must to choose Python or Ruby. I want do minimize tools that the
user must to install to use the application.

Python is installed with Ubuntu. It’s not the case of Ruby.

But there are Ruby packages in the repositories.

I prefer Ruby but I like Python too. Is there a reason to choose Ruby
over Python?

You just mentioned one reason, didn’t you? :wink:

Do you think it’s important to minimize dependencies to install for a
command line tools?

On an OS with a decent package manager I’d say it does not matter as
it will be handled automatically. The effort for you to provide
packages might be different though.

Windows might be tricky - for both languages, I guess. The primary
ecosystem for Python and Ruby is Linux if I’m not mistaken.

Kind regards

robert

On Windows you should be able to support Ruby with Ocra and Inno Setup.
There are also programs to build Python executables for Windows.

I think both languages will work multi-platform. The real issue is which
one is more suitable for your specific application? If both are equally
suitable, which one are you happier writing & debugging?

On Ubuntu, the Ruby en the Python versions are outdated in the offial
respository.

On 10/25/2013 06:29 AM, guirec c. wrote:

over Python?

Do you think it’s important to minimize dependencies to install for a
command line tools?

Thanks!

Mac has both Ruby and Python installed by default. Depending on the
specific version of OSX, they might be a little outdated though.

The general advice seems to be avoid the packaged versions of Ruby on
Debian-based systems, and go with rvm, rbenv, chruby or the like. rvm
is what’s shown on the ruby site itself.

I don’t care if it’s outdated or not. I prefer to use a outdated version
instead to install rvm or rbenv in all PCs where I want to use my little
command line tool. It’s sad but I think it’s less trouble.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM, guirec c. [email protected]
wrote:

I don’t care if it’s outdated or not. I prefer to use a outdated version
instead to install rvm or rbenv in all PCs where I want to use my little
command line tool. It’s sad but I think it’s less trouble.

No worries, code it in whatever works for you.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs