Ruby on Rails tutorials for beginner

Hi all,

Since I just switched from Python to Ruby, I’m looking for some good
tutorials to start with. I have googled a lot and found some lists of
tutorials, like 12 in
http://hpricot.blogspot.com/2007/11/top-12-ruby-tutorials.html or 30 in
http://webdeveloper.econsultant.com/ruby-rails-tutorials/

Have you ever used any of them? I’d love to hear your advice!

Yen T.

On 12 Nov 2007, at 18:04, Yen T. wrote:

Have you ever used any of them? I’d love to hear your advice!
Do yourself a favour and get a copy of ‘Agile Web D. with
rails’. Part of it is building up a sample app, but there’s loads more
good stuff too.

Fred

While your at it you should also grab the Pick Axe book.

Best.
Mike

On Nov 12, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Michael B. wrote:

While your at it you should also grab the Pick Axe book.

“Pick Axe” is the cultish reference to “Programming Ruby”

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0974514055

You will also find “The Ruby Way” a very good book. Programming Ruby
is more of a stripped Language Reference, whereas The Ruby Way is
full of examples of how to do things that Programming Ruby just
doesn’t show.

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0672328844

And while I’m at it…

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0977616630

– gw (www.railsdev.ws)

On Nov 13, 4:57 am, rinda [email protected] wrote:

The best free ebook about Rails out there (for limited time)http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails1/freebook.php

There are ruby ebooks too out there but I forgot…

Most of the Apress Books (apress.com) about Rails are available as
ebooks (not free):

http://apress.com/ebook/catalog

On Nov 13, 1:04 am, Yen T. [email protected] wrote:

Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.
The best free ebook about Rails out there (for limited time)
http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails1/freebook.php

There are ruby ebooks too out there but I forgot…

I’m usually a huge Apress fan, but the Apress Beginning Ruby book
(Cooper) did not float my boat. So far the Programming Ruby book (aka
“Pick Axe,” referenced above) is, IMO, hands-down the best intro to
the language if you’re already a programmer.

  • Beth +

Eno wrote:

On Nov 13, 4:57 am, rinda [email protected] wrote:

The best free ebook about Rails out there (for limited time)http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails1/freebook.php

There are ruby ebooks too out there but I forgot…

Most of the Apress Books (apress.com) about Rails are available as
ebooks (not free):

http://apress.com/ebook/catalog

i looked in http://www.pdfetch.com, and searched for ruby books.