Ruby IPC: messaging, blackboard, etc.?

I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
in this area.
Things I am most interested in:

  1. Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
    scales well with new nodes comming into play
  2. Messaging system that will allow address messages to
    [email protected]

Thanks!
Dima

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 07:03:53PM +0900, Dmitri K. wrote:

Dima

I think your first step would be to look into drb (distributed ruby)
which comes with ruby.

On Sep 24, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Logan C. wrote:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Dima

I think your first step would be to look into drb (distributed ruby)
which comes with ruby.

#1 is a request for Rinda’s Tuplespace built on DRb and also comes
with Ruby. The Ruby Cookbook shows example usage for this.

I didn’t understand #2.

James Edward G. II

On 9/24/06, Dmitri K. [email protected] wrote:

I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
in this area.
Things I am most interested in:

  1. Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
    scales well with new nodes comming into play
  2. Messaging system that will allow address messages to
    [email protected]

I don’t quite understand #2 but you can look at reliable-msg, which is a
very fine piece of work by Assaf Arkin. In addition, I’ve been working
on a
full-featured message-queueing system that should be ready for an early
look
quite soon.

Francis C. wrote:

On 9/24/06, Dmitri K. [email protected] wrote:

I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
in this area.
Things I am most interested in:

  1. Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
    scales well with new nodes comming into play
  2. Messaging system that will allow address messages to
    [email protected]

I don’t quite understand #2 but you can look at reliable-msg, which is a
very fine piece of work by Assaf Arkin. In addition, I’ve been working
on a
full-featured message-queueing system that should be ready for an early
look
quite soon.

By 2) I mean a messaging framework where addressable unit is a thread.
In other words, in such a system a following scenario would be possible:

Thread_X @ Process_A @ Host_N <— snd/rcv messages —> Thread_Y @
Process_B @ Host_M
(Framework may provide peer registration and naming mechanisms (for all
parts of such address). For example, process name or PID used in native
OS and network host name (IP addr) may be quite naturally used. As for
threads, there may be an agreement on how their names are built (such as
natural numbers, logical names, etc.))

Dima

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs