Ruby Internal

Hey guys!

Im looking at ruby for 6 months now.
I would describe my level of Ruby knowledge as “middle”.
Knowing metaprogramming and such stuff…

Now i thought the next step to be a better rubyist and general
programmer
would be to understand the core under the hood.

In MRI C, Rubinius C++, JRuby Java and so on.
I chose MRI and Rubinius, because i think looking at MRI’s Core so get a
better C Knowledge will help me afterwards for understanding Rubinius
Core which is written mostly in C++.

I don’t want to start a discussion whats better C or C++ first.
I have just a little C knowledge for now (knowing what structures,
unions, pointers and so on are)

Is there a good Documentation or Book (or whatever :D) to get or should
i look right into the core files and ask in this forum whenever i got an
question :slight_smile:

For example. First Question
Saw that VALUE “type” in most ruby c files and wondering what it is
I just can imagine it is an struct or union?

Best Greetings Benny :slight_smile:

http://ruby-hacking-guide.github.io/ - first you should read this one
http://patshaughnessy.net/ - and also I would recommend you this blog

Iurii Plugatariov

Iurii Plugatariov wrote in post #1128192:

http://ruby-hacking-guide.github.io/ - first you should read this one
http://patshaughnessy.net/ - and also I would recommend you this blog

Iurii Plugatariov

Okay thx for this fast response :slight_smile:

Ironic this topic should come up today. I just purchased Pat
Shaughnessy’s book titled “Ruby Under a Microscope”. It contains the
information you are looking for! I’ve only read the first couple of
pages, and skimmed through the rest, but it contains just the thing you
are looking for.

Wayne