Ruby installation

Can anyone help me in how to make the Ruby source files to executable
file.

I have the source code of Ruby and running in an interface of Linux.But
I am confused how to make the files in *.exe format.

Regards

Tridib B.

Uhh, you don’t. Ruby is an interpreted language, meaning the source
code is converted to machine-readable code at runtime.

What you’re asking is for compiled languages - converted to
machine-readable prior to execution.

There are tools available to create binaries from ruby scripts, but I’ve
not heard great things about them, and that’s contrary to the way you
should use ruby.

And what do you need exe’s for if you on linux anyway? Seems you’re a
little more confused than you might know…

If you add #!/usr/bin/env ruby to the start of the file and then run the
chmod
+x test.rb command in the terminal (where text.rb is your file) you can
make
it executable in Linux.

  • Rhys “Frog” Powell

Alex,

I don’t know if you meant as tongue in cheek but there exe dig was a tad
harsh… :slight_smile:

I may have misunderstood Tridib’s message, I thought the question was
about acquiring and compiling the ruby “Compiler” Source code, “Linux
Distribution”. Maybe I read it wrong, for that I apologize…

If Tridib, if I understood you correctly try this link
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

Cheers