Ruby & flash

Hello there.
we do have a problem with a ruby site we are forced to maintain but have
absolutely no experience nor knowledge about the framework and the
service structures. I’d really appreciate some patience here, because
the infos I’m going to publish are going to be incomplete, nevertheless
some advise would be much appreciated!
We are talking about one website on a linux (CentOS 5) server
administered with plesk 8. There’s ruby 1.8.5-5.el5_2.6 installed.

Now, the whole frontend is flash with hundreds of as-classes dealing
with the variables and the db-connections - i guess. The task is quite a
simple one:
. we need to extend one table in the db (mysql) and the corresponding
select field in the backend - done
. that value is to be saved via the backend in the db - done.
. the as-files are to be extended accordingly to define the very new
values passed from the db - done.

Problem: The flash-frontend doesn’t output the new strings - a blank
output is shown. Like we never updated the actionscript-files. Even
after a restart of the apache service!

My guess is, that files are being cached or mirrored in a way.

Anyone any idea what to do, where to start?

Thank you!
Andro

Ce Vau wrote:

with the variables and the db-connections - i guess. The task is quite a

My guess is, that files are being cached or mirrored in a way.

Anyone any idea what to do, where to start?

Thank you!
Andro

I’ll ask a dumb question: did you rebuild the .swf after changing the
.as files?

How is the AS code talking to the database? If it’s just getting some
url, then what happens if you use curl or wget on that url?

Joel VanderWerf wrote:

Ce Vau wrote:

with the variables and the db-connections - i guess. The task is quite a

My guess is, that files are being cached or mirrored in a way.

Anyone any idea what to do, where to start?

Thank you!
Andro

I’ll ask a dumb question: did you rebuild the .swf after changing the
.as files?

How is the AS code talking to the database? If it’s just getting some
url, then what happens if you use curl or wget on that url?

swf was not rebuilt. Didn’t see the need… the swf is interacting with
the data only through the .as files.

Now secondly: I’m not sure how the AS is getting the db-values, but it
happens - I can tell, because changing the value in the database
produces the empty output on the site. That can only mean, that the
value is passed in the output rendering process, but the string defined
to the value that is supposed to show never makes it to the swf file in
the frontend.

Ce Vau wrote:

I’ll ask a dumb question: did you rebuild the .swf after changing the
.as files?

How is the AS code talking to the database? If it’s just getting some
url, then what happens if you use curl or wget on that url?

swf was not rebuilt. Didn’t see the need… the swf is interacting with
the data only through the .as files.

That’s a problem. Try rebuilding using the flex compiler (mxmlc). The
.swf is compiled from the .as (plus other things).

Now secondly: I’m not sure how the AS is getting the db-values, but it
happens - I can tell, because changing the value in the database
produces the empty output on the site. That can only mean, that the
value is passed in the output rendering process, but the string defined
to the value that is supposed to show never makes it to the swf file in
the frontend.

If you know so little about how your program works, why do you assume
there is a ruby-related issue?

Joel VanderWerf wrote:

Ce Vau wrote:

I’ll ask a dumb question: did you rebuild the .swf after changing the
.as files?

How is the AS code talking to the database? If it’s just getting some
url, then what happens if you use curl or wget on that url?

swf was not rebuilt. Didn’t see the need… the swf is interacting with
the data only through the .as files.

That’s a problem. Try rebuilding using the flex compiler (mxmlc). The
.swf is compiled from the .as (plus other things).

I have no idea how to do that. I guess I have to try to find someone who
does.

Now secondly: I’m not sure how the AS is getting the db-values, but it
happens - I can tell, because changing the value in the database
produces the empty output on the site. That can only mean, that the
value is passed in the output rendering process, but the string defined
to the value that is supposed to show never makes it to the swf file in
the frontend.

If you know so little about how your program works, why do you assume
there is a ruby-related issue?

I know that this is a ruby forum, but also wasn’t saying that it’s a
ruby problem. I’m more used to php asp .net programming and do know that
in order to see effects of adjusted classes or scripts (i.g. dlls) on an
iis for example I need to restart/work with services. That’s why I tried
to find help here - hoping to find people who can point me in the right
direction ruby-wise.

After reading your problem. I would recommend a couple of small
ref-cardz
as a place to start.

http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/very-first-steps-flex

http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/very-first-steps-flex
http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/flexible-rails

http://refcardz.dzone.com/refcardz/flexible-railsIf you need anymore
help
i will be happy to point you to a couple of books on this subject.

Thanks,

Allan D.
Member of NetBeans Dream Team
http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeansDreamTeam
Lead Developer, nbPython
http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python
http://codesnakes.blogspot.com (my blog)
Co-Chair, CajunJUG
http://www.cajunjug.org

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs