From: “sasan” [email protected]
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:26 PM
Subject: Ruby Editor

sasan wrote:

I need a good software for ruby programming. please post message for
me about the ruby software.

Have not used this. but looks good.

Also just used Aptana in the past, or Text Mate

http://macromates.com/

Am Sonntag, 23. Aug 2009, 03:30:44 +0900 schrieb sasan:

I need a good software for ruby programming. please post message for
me about the ruby software.

Vim?

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/328397

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Bertram
Scharpf[email protected] wrote:

Am Sonntag, 23. Aug 2009, 03:30:44 +0900 schrieb sasan:

I need a good software for ruby programming. please post message for
me about the ruby software.

Vim?

What else?

Sorry could not resist!

R.

gedit like textmate
http://blog.nationcode.com/articles/2008/04/06/gedit-como-textmate-mejorado-para-rails-en-gnu-linux

saludos

sasan wrote:

I need a good software for ruby programming. please post message for
me about the ruby software.

Depends what platform you are on.

If you are on Windows, there was a recent thread listing a lot of
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/193184

My favorite is Emacs, but Netbeans is good too especially if you are on
Windows where Emacs just does not quite fit.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Nathan Keel[email protected] wrote:

sasan wrote:

I need a good software for ruby programming. please post message for
me about the ruby software.

vi/vim has both *nix and Windows, it’s free, has been around forever and
is powerful.

edlin! Uses less resources then any of the other editors people have
suggested. As a bonus, you’ll learn very quickly not to make
mistakes. :slight_smile:

Aaron T. wrote:

suggested. As a bonus, you’ll learn very quickly not to make
mistakes. :slight_smile:

Never heard of that? Anyway, any text editor will work, but things like
vi/vim, gedit, etc. (free on Linux, and vim works on Windows), will
work fine. I guess it might depend on your OS.

Aaron T. wrote:

mistakes. :slight_smile:

Personally I preferred UCEdit, University of Calgary Editor, but it only
ran on a CDC Cyber series as far as I know. I loved being able to go to
the 234th instance of ‘the’ and changing the next 5 instances to ‘then’
in a file with a single command. It made editing large files very easy.
Unfortunately I have never seen any editor close to it even though I
used it in the late 70’s.

Hi,

Am Freitag, 28. Aug 2009, 04:15:06 +0900 schrieb Nathan Keel:

sasan wrote:

I need a good software for ruby programming. please post message for
me about the ruby software.

vi/vim has both *nix and Windows, it’s free, has been around forever and
is powerful.

Vim is sure a matter of taste. I know that because I refused it
for a long time. A time much too long…

Bertram

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:19:56 -0500, Robert D. wrote:

Vim is sure a matter of taste. I know that because I refused it for a
long time. A time much too long…
Now this is subtle lobbying ;). But I am with you of course.

OTOH if you do not try out emacs you will never know what you like
better. And IIRC there are simply no other choices (1)(unless on MAC)
;). R.

IMHO they all suck, especially vim and emacs. However, I’ve found
emacs
to be an excellent editor construction kit for rolling my own.

I can’t say I disagree, but I do like being able to control mpd and read
PDF’s inside Emacs. Not to mention Emacs’ ability to run as a daemon.

Vim is sure a matter of taste. I know that because I refused it
for a long time. A time much too long…
Now this is subtle lobbying ;). But I am with you of course.

OTOH if you do not try out emacs you will never know what you like
better.
And IIRC there are simply no other choices (1)(unless on MAC) ;).
R.

(1) For editors, IDEs are a different history that shall be told a
different time.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Hunt J.[email protected] wrote:

Is it possible to add some text editors information on Ruby’s official website?

I’m kind of tired of this kind of discussion unless something notable comes up.

Yeah but what shall we say to a newbie?
R.

Is it possible to add some text editors information on Ruby’s official
website?

I’m kind of tired of this kind of discussion unless something notable
comes up.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Robert D.[email protected]
wrote:

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Hunt J.[email protected] wrote:

Is it possible to add some text editors information on Ruby’s official website?

I’m kind of tired of this kind of discussion unless something notable comes up.

Yeah but what shall we say to a newbie?

point him to the wiki!

martin