Ruby cache

Hi, would like to know if anybody has some information or experience
about using ruby cache (http://www.nongnu.org/pupa/ruby-cache.html).

Seems to be great, sometimes rails plugins seems to be heavy;
as about, does it integrates with rails easily, or is it something
to considerer totally apart ? How/where would it fit under a rails
application ?

Thanks in advance if any informations, or for redirecting to
a related post if it has ever been already discussed.

Benjamin B. wrote:

That code provides no specs or tests, and hasn’t been updated in nearly
6 years. You may want to look for a different solution.

-igal

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008, Igal K. wrote:

That code provides no specs or tests, and hasn’t been updated in nearly 6
years. You may want to look for a different solution.

Aside from the fact that it hasn’t been updated in 6 years and doesn’t
have tests (neither of which, honestly, should automatically disqualify
code from examination), ruby-cache works great. We’re using it at my
work in a large mod_ruby web application and a number of smaller tools
and apps that use the same codebase.

Ben

Ben B. wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Maybe it’d be worth checking in with the original author, and if he
doesn’t mind, we can do a code sprint with the Portland Ruby Brigade to
create a gem, write specs, and publish it to RubyForge? That may be a
useful demonstration of how to take some useful bits lying around and
actually release them.

-igal

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008, Igal K. wrote:

Maybe it’d be worth checking in with the original author, and if he doesn’t
mind, we can do a code sprint with the Portland Ruby Brigade to create a
gem, write specs, and publish it to RubyForge? That may be a useful
demonstration of how to take some useful bits lying around and actually
release them.

Not necessary. There’s already a gem, called ruby-cache.

If you really want to do this, contact the author and ask him if he’s
interested in tests. If he is, then maybe it’d be a useful example for
a workshop or something. Otherwise, use and enjoy.

Ben

Sure that if it hasn’t been updated for so long it doesn’t need to and
might works great !
Well, maybe no.
Does anyone has any sources to help run it ?

Ben B. wrote:

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008, Igal K. wrote:

Maybe it’d be worth checking in with the original author, and if he doesn’t
mind, we can do a code sprint with the Portland Ruby Brigade to create a
gem, write specs, and publish it to RubyForge? That may be a useful
demonstration of how to take some useful bits lying around and actually
release them.

Not necessary. There’s already a gem, called ruby-cache.

If you really want to do this, contact the author and ask him if he’s
interested in tests. If he is, then maybe it’d be a useful example for
a workshop or something. Otherwise, use and enjoy.

Ben

On Jun 29, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Igal K. wrote:

Maybe it’d be worth checking in with the original author, and if he
doesn’t mind, we can do a code sprint with the Portland Ruby Brigade
to create a gem, write specs, and publish it to RubyForge? That may
be a useful demonstration of how to take some useful bits lying
around and actually release them.

There’s already a gem:

$ gem search cache

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

ruby-cache (0.3.0)

And it already has a project page (albeit not a RubyForge one, but
that hardly matters):

http://www.nongnu.org/pupa/ruby-cache.html

The download page there does seem to be empty, but again it’s
published as a gem.

It does come with a test (of sorts) in the old “if $0 == FILE
style that was prevalent before runit came out, but more coverage
would presumably be better. Also, its API docs are in the RD format,
so inlining those in RDoc form would be nice, too. I’d be willing to
help out if someone wants to contact Okuji-san. He has an active blog
at http://enbug.tdiary.net/, but I don’t speak Japanese.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs