Ruby application?

Hi all,
I’ve written a library to read/write the ipod tracklist, now I want to
write a small application that can put/remove songs from an ipod (as a
replacement for itunes), for that I want to use FOX GUI.
Is there a standard way to create a ruby application? I’ve looked at
rubyscript2exe, but haven’t tested it with FOX yet… are there more
options?

Rolando A. wrote:

Hi all,
I’ve written a library to read/write the ipod tracklist, now I want to
write a small application that can put/remove songs from an ipod (as a
replacement for itunes), for that I want to use FOX GUI.
Is there a standard way to create a ruby application? I’ve looked at
rubyscript2exe, but haven’t tested it with FOX yet… are there more
options?

If it’s personal code, just use a starter script? Rubyscript2exe is more
of a workaround when dealing with people that would be dead scared of
Ruby without having stuff in an .exe file.

David V.

On 10/4/06, David V. [email protected] wrote:

If it’s personal code, just use a starter script? Rubyscript2exe is more
of a workaround when dealing with people that would be dead scared of
Ruby without having stuff in an .exe file.

that’s the problem… I would like the app to be in the ipod and use
it in any computer, no matter if the pc has ruby && fox or not.
Is this posible or not?

Rolando A. wrote:

that’s the problem… I would like the app to be in the ipod and use
it in any computer, no matter if the pc has ruby && fox or not.
Is this posible or not?

The PC -has- to have Ruby and Fox in one way or another for that app to
work. With rubyscript2exe, you just stuff all of the Ruby libraries you
use, and the Fox libraries into the .exe file. If you have enough place
spare on the iPod to just copy over your C:\Ruby folder on it, maybe
without third-party libraries you don’t need for the application (likely
any gems that aren’t Fox and the whole of site_ruby if you’re using the
one-click installer), it will work just as well with a .bat file to set
up things - e.g. put the current directory into PATH and use rubyw.exe
your_app.rb

The difference is basically that rubyscript2exe lets you hide Ruby being
involved under the carpet - so go for that if that’s what you need. Both
alternatives work if you just need to run the script on another
computer, I haven’t really used rubyscript2exe, so I can’t tell if it’s
easier to set up with a binary gem dependency involved than this.

David V.

On 10/5/06, Leslie V. [email protected] wrote:

I have used it fine with Fox. But I have noticed that it often seems
to include files it doesn’t need. I’m not sure why that is, but in my
own projects, if I need the EXE to be small, I extract all the files
and cut things down by hand.

Les

ok, thanks. I’ll give it a try then.

On 10/4/06, Rolando A. [email protected] wrote:

Hi all,
I’ve written a library to read/write the ipod tracklist, now I want to
write a small application that can put/remove songs from an ipod (as a
replacement for itunes), for that I want to use FOX GUI.
Is there a standard way to create a ruby application? I’ve looked at
rubyscript2exe, but haven’t tested it with FOX yet… are there more
options?

I have used it fine with Fox. But I have noticed that it often seems
to include files it doesn’t need. I’m not sure why that is, but in my
own projects, if I need the EXE to be small, I extract all the files
and cut things down by hand.

Les

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs