Ruby and Visual Basic

Some years ago I wrote a magazine review regarding Visual Basic. At the
time
I was informed by Microsoft that it was modelled after an earlier
incarnation of a program called “Ruby,” by a fellow named Alan Cooper.

Would that be the same Ruby we are using today? I ask this because,
syntactically, it seems very much the same as Visual Basic. Thanks, Ike

On 7/27/06, Ike [email protected] wrote:

Some years ago I wrote a magazine review regarding Visual Basic. At the time
I was informed by Microsoft that it was modelled after an earlier
incarnation of a program called “Ruby,” by a fellow named Alan Cooper.

Would that be the same Ruby we are using today? I ask this because,
syntactically, it seems very much the same as Visual Basic. Thanks, Ike

ARRGGHHH! You must be kidding!
Don’t say that PLEASE!

“I” == Ike [email protected] writes:

I> Would that be the same Ruby we are using today?

no, see

http://www.cooper.com/alan/father_of_vb.html

Guy Decoux

“Leslie V.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Don’t say that PLEASE!

I don’t like it either – but SYNTACTICALLY there are many
similarities! -Ike

On 7/27/06, Ike [email protected] wrote:

syntactically, it seems very much the same as Visual Basic. Thanks, Ike

ARRGGHHH! You must be kidding!
Don’t say that PLEASE!

I don’t like it either – but SYNTACTICALLY there are many
similarities! -Ike

My ears are burning, my ears are burning!
LALALALALALALA can’t hear you! LALALALALALALA

Seriously though, about the only similarity I can think of is the lack
of semi-colons.

On 7/27/06, Ike [email protected] wrote:

similarities! -Ike

Uh… not as many curly brackets as C? " if " statements?
That’s two similarities. I’m sure if we all pitch in, we can find some
more…

;D

To be clear, its not ENDIF in VB, its End If (and just End in Ruby of
course).

Ike wrote:

I ask this because,
syntactically, it seems very much the same as Visual Basic.

Hmm. Not so much. Perhaps dotted notation separating elements? Even
then in Ruby that would be more along the lines of object.method,
whereas in VB it would be like function.property. Other than that I
don’t see it. Even syntactically…

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:13:13PM +0900, Daniel B. wrote:

Uh… not as many curly brackets as C? " if " statements?
That’s two similarities. I’m sure if we all pitch in, we can find some
more…

“They’re both programming languages.”

That might work.

“Leslie V.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Seriously though, about the only similarity I can think of is the lack
of semi-colons.

In particular, the control structure syntax and lack of semicolons (and,
thank God, blocks are NOT, unlike Python, a function of the tabbings!).
mean, overall, say, converting a snippet of java/php/c++ code to another
of
those types, is syntactically similar. Here, it seems, that a lot of
legacy
VB code out there can (and then subsequently SHOULD!) be converted to
Ruby.

-Ike

On 7/28/06, Ike [email protected] wrote:

VB code out there can (and then subsequently SHOULD!) be converted to Ruby.
Well everything should be converted to Ruby, but perhaps you should
work a little more in Ruby first, to confirm your hypothesis!

Les

Those are FAR too general… I can count hundreds of languages with less
braces than C and if statements that end in ENDIFs. BTW, ENDIF is BASIC,
not
proprietary to VB :stuck_out_tongue:

“Brian H.” [email protected] writes:

To be clear, its not ENDIF in VB, its End If (and just End in Ruby of
course).

And in the very old times, “end if” worked in Ruby too.
(Guess why that was removed…)