Ruby 1.9.3p237 in cygwin

definitely not a ruby-core dev here, so hope this is ok to post.
my cygwin compile for latest ruby is failing with the ff msg…

file.o:file.c:(.text+0x4342): undefined reference to `_wcsicmp’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I just hope ruby-core is not abandoning cygwin env since cygwin is my
only
link to win environs…

thanks and best regards to ruby team,
-botp

Hi,

2012/11/22 botp [email protected]

definitely not a ruby-core dev here, so hope this is ok to post.
my cygwin compile for latest ruby is failing with the ff msg…

file.o:file.c:(.text+0x4342): undefined reference to `_wcsicmp’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I just hope ruby-core is not abandoning cygwin env since cygwin is my only
link to win environs…

That issue was reported and I believe it will soon be fixed.
Refer to http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7415

thanks and best regards to ruby team,
-botp

Regards,
Park H.

On 22/11/2012 19:16, botp wrote:

definitely not a ruby-core dev here, so hope this is ok to post.
my cygwin compile for latest ruby is failing with the ff msg…

file.o:file.c:(.text+0x4342): undefined reference to `_wcsicmp’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Yes, I had the same. I commented out the call (it wasn’t in anything
that I was going to use anyway). But I agree that proper Cygwin support
would be good.

Graham

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Graham Menhennitt
<[email protected]

wrote:

Yes, I had the same. I commented out the call (it wasn’t in anything
that I was going to use anyway). But I agree that proper Cygwin support
would be good.

glad i am not alone = )
thanks Graham
-botp

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Heesob P. [email protected] wrote:

That issue was reported and I believe it will soon be fixed.
Refer to http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7415

omg, that was quick. thank you Heesob P. and ruby team.
kind regards -botp

On 23/11/2012 00:56, Robert K. wrote:

1.9 a while back:

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.3p327 (2012-11-10 revision 37606) [i386-cygwin]

Thanks for that, Robert.

How do they (the CygWin guys) build it? They must do something to fix
that error. Why can’t we (the Ruby guys) do the same thing (it’s in a
#ifdef CYGWIN, so it won’t affect anything else)?

I’m trying to build a CygWin program with an embedded Ruby interpreter.
It builds and starts running but exits immediately. I can’t debug it in
Cygwin GDB - it just hangs whenever I do a ‘s’ or ‘n’ command.

Graham

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM, botp [email protected] wrote:

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Graham Menhennitt
[email protected] wrote:

Yes, I had the same. I commented out the call (it wasn’t in anything
that I was going to use anyway). But I agree that proper Cygwin support
would be good.

glad i am not alone = )
thanks Graham

Why don’t you use the Ruby version from the repo? cygwin switched to
1.9 a while back:

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.3p327 (2012-11-10 revision 37606) [i386-cygwin]

Kind regards

robert

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Graham Menhennitt
[email protected] wrote:

On 23/11/2012 00:56, Robert K. wrote:

Why don’t you use the Ruby version from the repo? cygwin switched to
1.9 a while back:

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.3p327 (2012-11-10 revision 37606) [i386-cygwin]

Thanks for that, Robert.

You’re welcome.

How do they (the CygWin guys) build it? They must do something to fix
that error. Why can’t we (the Ruby guys) do the same thing (it’s in a
#ifdef CYGWIN, so it won’t affect anything else)?

You can download the sources. Maybe that’ll help. You could also
diff vs. the default sources.

I’m trying to build a CygWin program with an embedded Ruby interpreter.
It builds and starts running but exits immediately. I can’t debug it in
Cygwin GDB - it just hangs whenever I do a ‘s’ or ‘n’ command.

Ah. Then of course you must build it.

Kind regards

robert

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs