Ruby 1.9.1 is released

On 30/01/2009, Zayd A. [email protected] wrote:

Congradulations guys!! I am a noob so this might be a silly question to the
majority, but can someone give me the steps to install 1.9 in my vista
environment? Need some help. I already saved the zip folder. Should I be
looking for an executable, becauseI cannot find it

I suggest you wait for the Windows One Click installer for 1.9/2.0.

Unless something has changed the Windows builds you can download at
garbagecollect are somewhat not completely finished. They are missing
parts, and not even documenting which ones. You could write a “hello
world” program using the build and perhaps explore some of the
features fof the new interpreter but you cannot even install gems.

I am not completely sure if anybody uses that stuff and what do they
use it for. It just shows Ruby can be built for WIndwows I guess.

Thanks

Michal

Hahahahaa Thanks Michal, you answered my question at the same time I was
typing it :slight_smile:

Thanks

Are there going to be a one click installer for this new version? I’m
having
trouble installing 1.9

Thanks

From: “James G.” [email protected]

On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Yugui (Yuki S.) wrote:

I am proud to announce the release of Ruby 1.9.1. This is the first
stable release of Ruby 1.9 series.

Three cheers for the entire Ruby core team who has worked so hard to
bring us this release! Please know that we appreciate your efforts.

+1 !!!

Very much appreciated indeed.

Thanks to all!

Bill

Cool, thanks!!! I will be patiently waiting :slight_smile:

On 30/01/2009, Zayd A. [email protected] wrote:

Are there going to be a one click installer for this new version? I’m having
trouble installing 1.9

The problem is not with Ruby itself but with the libraries it uses
(zlib for gems, readline for irb, openssl for encryption and https
networking, sqlite, …)

Most of these use unique build systems and have binaries built for
windows with different compilers.

To link this all together with Ruby is a recipe for disaster.

For that reason Luis is working on a new One Click installer which
builds all the libraries and ruby from source using the MinGW
compiler.

Unfortunately not all of the libraries build well in the MinGW
environment out of the box (or on Windows at all) so the project
requires lots of tedious work. There are only development and testing
releases of this installer. As far as I know no final release that
includes at least all the basic parts is available.

Thanks

Michal

Yeah, I’m having some problems installing too… I can do the compiling,
I’ll figure it out, but I can’t figure out how I get the tools needed to
do
it, the win32 readme said I needed these:

Note: building ruby requires following commands.
 * nmake
 * cl
 * lib
 * dumpbin

I have nmake, but how do I acquire the others? Google isn’t helping me.

  • Jayce

From: “Jayce M.” [email protected]

To: “ruby-talk ML” [email protected]

You guys never read the instructions:

http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/documents/install.html

If you’re installing garbage collect releases, you need to follow
these rules.

HTH,

How can I make it works in cygwin?
(gcc version 4.3.2 20080827 (alpha-testing) 1 (GCC))
There are some errors when I make it:

uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target opt_sc.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetopt_sc.inc’
uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target optinsn.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetoptinsn.inc’
uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target optunifs.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetoptunifs.inc’
uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target insns.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetinsns.inc’
uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target
insns_info.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetinsns_info.inc’
uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target vmtc.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetvmtc.inc’
uncommon.mk:624: warning: overriding commands for target vm.inc' Makefile:283: warning: ignoring old commands for targetvm.inc’
uncommon.mk:653: warning: overriding commands for target node_name.inc' Makefile:287: warning: ignoring old commands for targetnode_name.inc’
uncommon.mk:668: warning: overriding commands for target
known_errors.inc' Makefile:290: warning: ignoring old commands for targetknown_errors.inc’
uncommon.mk:671: warning: overriding commands for target miniprelude.c' Makefile:293: warning: ignoring old commands for targetminiprelude.c’
uncommon.mk:680: warning: overriding commands for target newline.c' Makefile:296: warning: ignoring old commands for targetnewline.c’
uncommon.mk:742: *** target file `up’ has both : and :: entries. Stop.

Thanks to everybody involved, for all the effort you put into this, for
making my favorite language better.
Congratulations to all the community.

Wu Junchen wrote:

How can I make it works in cygwin?
(gcc version 4.3.2 20080827 (alpha-testing) 1 (GCC))
There are some errors when I make it:

After downloaded the package from the ftp instead of checking out from
svn,I can build it successfully,maybe the wrong thing I did is that
before exec ./configure,I had executed ‘autoconf’ and make someting goes
wrong.