[RSpec] Unexpected behavior using TextMate Bundle


Why does the bundle NOT work when I do the following:

  • Start TextMate
  • Open my project
  • Open my spec
  • Try to run spec and get an error

While the following DOES work:

  • Open Terminal
  • Locate my project
  • Start TextMate via command line (mate .)
  • Open my spec
  • Try to run spec and it works


Can you give a bit more information?

Versions of rspec, rspec_on_rails, tmbundle.

How did you install? gem, .tgz, svn (trunk, CURRENT, or other)

In both scenarios, when you “Open my spec,” what does TextMate show
for the selected “Language” of the file? RSpec, Ruby on Rails, other?
Are they the same for the different scenarios.

Finally, what’s the error?


On 10/12/07, Mel R. [email protected] wrote:

George A.

BenevolentCode LLC
O: (410) 461-7553
C: (410) 218-5185

[email protected]

Hi George,

Sorry I didn’t post the version information - I was “specin’ it up” and
did the quick hit post.

Here’s the information you’re looking for:

Versions are …/tags/CURRENT/

Didn’t install gem.

The “Language” is Ruby; I don’t see RSpec as an option.

Here’s the Error I’m receiving:
require': No such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError) from /Users/mriffe/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/RSpec.tmbundle/Support/lib/spec_mate.rb:2 from /tmp/temp_textmate.TpyRhb:3:inrequire’ from

Again, this only happens when I DON’T open TextMate from the command
inside my project. Don’t know if this has any bearing, but I’m using
QuickSilver to open TM.


I think I had this problem. The difference in behavior is due to TM
using different shell environments due to how you are launching it.
I think I did something like:


Just substitute in your shell PATH into the one in the plist file.