Rspec model testing - test on user defined validation- How do I test that the create failed

I’m new to rspec and looking for way to test a validation I added to a
model.

The test checks to see that if field1 has a value then field2 must be
nil
and vice versa.

When I did the rspec_scaffold it generated one test which worked

before :each do
@valid_attributes = {
:field1 = “value for field1”
:field2 = “value for field2”
}

MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes)
end

it “should create a new instance given valid attributes” do
MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes)
end

Before coding I modified the test file as follows

it “should create a new instance given valid attributes” do

@valid_attributes1 = {
:field1 = “value for field1”
:field2 = nil
}

MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes1)

@valid_attributes2 = {
:field1 = nil
:field2 = “value for field2”
}

MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes2)
end

it “should not create a new instance given incompatible attribute
values” do

@invalid_attributes1 = {
:field1 = “value for field1”
:field2 = “value for field2”
}

MyTest.create!(@invalid_attributes) # I don’t know how to test that
the
save failed!!
end

naturally the first two test failed and the last one as written didn’t.

after coding my validation the first two pass and naturally last one
didn’t.

How do I test that the create failed.

http://www.nabble.com/rspec-model-testing---test-on-user-defined-validation--How-do-I-test-that-the-create-failed.-tp21465687p21465687.html

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Ken W. [email protected] wrote:

@valid_attributes = {

MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes1)

Hi Ken,

I would write the specs like:

describe MyModel do
it “should be valid when field1 is set and field2 is nil” do
new_my_model(:field1 => “foo”, :field2 => nil).should be_valid
end

it “should be valid when field2 is set and field1 is nil” do
new_my_model(:field1 => nil, :field2 => “bar”).should be_valid
end

it “should not be valid when field1 and field2 are set” do
new_my_model(:field1 => “foo”, :field2 => “bar”).should_not be_valid

new_my_model is coming from fixjour [1], but you could just use
MyModel.new if you want. The key is that you get a new instance with
the attributes set as you want and then ask it if it’s valid.

[1] GitHub - nakajima/fixjour

Solved my problem all the examples I could find had the following
example
myTest.should_not_be_valid
but that method wasn’t a valid method.

It appears the method has been refactored and the new form is
mytest.should_not(be_valid) which does work

following test does what I want
it “should not create a new instance given incompatible attribute
values” do

@invalid_attributes1 = {
:field1 = “value for field1”
:field2 = “value for field2”
}

mytest = MyTest.create(@invalid_attributes)
mytest.should_not(be_valid)
end

Ken W.

[...]

rspec-users mailing list

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Wegener K. [email protected] wrote:

@invalid_attributes1 = {
:field1 = “value for field1”
:field2 = “value for field2”
}