Roadmap to RedCloth 4.0 release


#1

There are a few things that need to get done before we release
RedCloth 4.0:

1.) Resolve the WIN32 vs. CURRENT problem outlined in my reply to
Jase. It needs to compile for individuals who have the latest
RubyGems, but we also have to be able to cross-compile win32
binaries. _why, do you have any ideas?

2.) Find the right Ragel code style and C compiler flags for optimum
speed and memory usage. Stephen, didn’t you start working on a rake
task to benchmark the options? How’s that coming?

3.) Fix all the bugs. Ha ha. But seriously, there have been some
pretty major bugs coming in this month and I’ll feel better about
releasing when it’s better tested. I’m thinking I’ll post to ruby-
talk and say, “now’s your chance to test your app with RedCloth
before we release, you blindly gem up, and your site breaks.” :slight_smile:

4.) Is there a way to make the gem case-insensitive? I see all
kinds of posts where someone says “gem install redcloth” doesn’t work
(I even wrote it wrong on the wiki). If we make it lowercase,
everything posted around the web with it uppercase will be wrong.
Short of changing RubyGems itself, is there something we can do to
make it work both ways?

Jason


#2

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 05:03:38PM -0400, Jason G. wrote:

1.) Resolve the WIN32 vs. CURRENT problem outlined in my reply to Jase. It
needs to compile for individuals who have the latest RubyGems, but we also
have to be able to cross-compile win32 binaries. _why, do you have any
ideas?

I think the correct setting to use in the Rakefile is the string
‘mswin32’. I read though lib/rubygems/platform.rb and
lib/rubygems/specification.rb in the latest release and they’ve only
deprecated the use of the Gem::Platform constants, not done away with
platform-specific gems in general.

So, I think the line should be: s.platform = ‘mswin32’. Give it a
try in your Rakefile, Jason, and we’ll take it from there.

_why


#3

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 05:03:38PM -0400, Jason G. wrote:

4.) Is there a way to make the gem case-insensitive? I see all kinds of
posts where someone says “gem install redcloth” doesn’t work (I even wrote
it wrong on the wiki). If we make it lowercase, everything posted around
the web with it uppercase will be wrong. Short of changing RubyGems
itself, is there something we can do to make it work both ways?

It might be acceptable to release the gem with both casing until the
old casing dies off.

_why


#4

So the official gem would be “redcloth” and “RedCloth” would be
deprecated ? I like this.

It could event be RedCloth = 3.x with bug fixes (display a warning on
installation “use ‘redcloth’ instead of ‘RedCloth’ for the new gem”),
“redcloth” is 4.x ->…

This has the advantage that people have to make a move to use the new
gem and I think this is good since it is a big jump.

And in 2 years, “RedCloth” stops installing and just displays the
message.

G.


#5

On Apr 15, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Gaspard B. wrote:

It could event be RedCloth = 3.x with bug fixes (display a warning on
installation “use ‘redcloth’ instead of ‘RedCloth’ for the new gem”),
“redcloth” is 4.x ->…

Hmm, I rather like this idea.