RMagick bus error on OS X in console mode


#1

This is a strange bug that I’ve never seen before. It only shows up
when I run the app through the console (the app is Family Connection,
and it works fine when run as a web app):

22$ ruby script/console
Loading development environment.

User
/opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.3.0/
RMagick.bundle: [BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.3.0]

Abort trap

I am then unceremoniously dumped back to the shell prompt. Anyone
have a clue as to what’s going on here?

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/


#2

Duane J. wrote:

Abort trap

I am then unceremoniously dumped back to the shell prompt. Anyone have
a clue as to what’s going on here?

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/

Are you absolutely sure you are not using the Apple Ruby when running
from the console? I’ve read that it was compiled with the wrong
endianness setting.

regards

Justin


#3

Duane J. wrote:
Anyone

have a clue as to what’s going on here?

I have the same problem:

./script/console
Loading development environment.
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.4.0/RMagick.bundle:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]

Abort trap
My-G4-Powerbook:~/Sites/app user$ rails -v
Rails 1.1.2
My-G4-Powerbook:~/Sites/app user$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]

I think it started happening after the 1.1 upgrade, but I can’t be sure.
I’ve searched high and wide, but found no info on this.

-Lindsay


#4

I have the same problem. Did you find the solution to this?


#5

Duane J. wrote:

I am then unceremoniously dumped back to the shell prompt. Anyone
have a clue as to what’s going on here?

try script/console, then
ENV[“PATH”]

if it doesn’t start with “/opt/local/bin…”, then you need to edit
your .profile or .bash_profile to add the /opt/local stuff to the front
(so you’ll get your DarwinPorts installs by preference to whatever came
on the system). Something like this:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

–Al Evans


#6

Al Evans wrote:

Duane J. wrote:
you need to edit
your .profile or .bash_profile to add the /opt/local stuff to the front
(so you’ll get your DarwinPorts installs by preference to whatever came
on the system). Something like this:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

–Al Evans

Al, my .profile already contained:

Your previous .profile (if any) is saved as .profile.dpsaved

Setting the path for DarwinPorts.

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

Presumably added when I installed Fink? Anyway, I tried exporting the
PATH at the command line:

$export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
$./script/console
Loading development environment.
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.4.0/RMagick.bundle:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]

Abort trap
$echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/Users/lindsay/scripts:.:/usr/X11R6/bin

-Lindsay


#7

Lindsay B. wrote:

Your previous .profile (if any) is saved as .profile.dpsaved

Setting the path for DarwinPorts.

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

Presumably added when I installed Fink? Anyway, I tried exporting the
PATH at the command line:

$export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
$./script/console
Loading development environment.
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.4.0/RMagick.bundle:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.4.0]

Abort trap
$echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/Users/lindsay/scripts:.:/usr/X11R6/bin

Hmmm – in my installation, RMagick is in /opt/local/lib. It took me a
while to get everything lined up right, though. My guess would be that
it built against the wrong version of ruby. There’s a good set of build
instructions here:

http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html

Maybe something in them will give you an “aha”…

–Al Evans


#8

http://threebit.net/mail-archive/rails/msg01024.html


– Tom M.


#9

Tom M. wrote:

http://threebit.net/mail-archive/rails/msg01024.html


– Tom M.

Excellent instructions… my console now works!

thanks
Lindsay


#10

i had the same exact bus error. at first i thought it was my RMagick
installation, which i compiled long before i got into rails (inside /
usr/local/lib). so i reinstalled with the gem version, but the bus
error still exists. i don’t really have a solution, but i wanted to
tell you i experience the same problem.

-tak.


#11

Cool!

Glad I was able to help. :slight_smile:


– Tom M.