Returning p array

I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It’s easy
for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
there a better way to do this?

def info
#create an array
p array
return p array

rtilley a écrit :

I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It’s
easy for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array?
Or is there a better way to do this?

def info
#create an array
p array
return p array
end
“p” just uses the “inspect” method. Thus you can do that :

def info

create an array

p array
array.inspect
end

Pierre

rtilley wrote:

I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It’s easy
for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
there a better way to do this?

def info
#create an array
p array
return p array
end

Just to clarify my question… When I create an array like this:

x = Array.new
x.push(1,2,3)

And then write the array to a file, I get a file that reads 123. I would
like a file that looks like this [1, 2, 3] instead.

Thank you,
Brad

Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:

“p” just uses the “inspect” method. Thus you can do that :

def info

create an array

p array
array.inspect
end

Pierre

Thank you Pierre and Robert. That is exactly what I wanted to do.

Brad

“rtilley” removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote in message

I like the way in which p prints out the contents of an array. It’s easy
for me to read. Is it possible to make a method return p array? Or is
there a better way to do this?

def info
#create an array
p array
return p array
end

This won’t work because p returns nil. Do this

def info
create_array_somehow.inspect
end

Kind regards

robert

Just to clarify my question… When I create an array like this:

x = Array.new
x.push(1,2,3)

This can be shortened to

x=[1,2,3]

And then write the array to a file, I get a file that reads 123. I would
like a file that looks like this [1, 2, 3] instead.

Do x.inspect or x.join ", "

Kind regards

robert