Replace Pound/Pens/Balance with Ruby alternative

Right now you can use either Pens/Balance/Pound to put in front of some
Mongrels and it works really good (easy to setup too!). I got to
thinking, would it be possible to mimic what Pens/Balance/Pound does in
pure Ruby (yeah, I know the answer is yes)? I guess I’m looking for a
starting point. Does one simply write an HTTP listener that then
redirects the calls to Mongrel? Is there a project already doing this?

Thanks for the help.

Why would you want to rewrite a mature, debugged,
efficient C program in Ruby?

I understand the benefits (Ruby accessibility, no
additional compilation required, etc.), but can’t
see them outweighing the disadvantages (efficiency
and maturity).

Tom M. wrote:

I understand the benefits (Ruby accessibility, no
additional compilation required, etc.), but can’t
see them outweighing the disadvantages (efficiency
and maturity).

Pound/Pen/Balance doesn’t work on Windows. Yes, there are alternatives,
but I’d like to have a simple way of deploying my apps to ANY platform
without much fuss. Speed/Efficiency mean nothing to me as my apps are
internal to a company and used by less than 50 people througout the day.

On Jul 18, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Wesley L. wrote:

internal to a company and used by less than 50 people througout the
day.

Actually there is a binary pen.exe that works on windows. I am using
it here for a way to do simple mongrel clusters on windows.

http://siag.nu/pub/pen/pen.exe

-Ezra

Wesley L. wrote:

would it be possible to mimic what Pens/Balance/Pound does in
pure Ruby (yeah, I know the answer is yes)? I guess I’m looking for a
starting point. Does one simply write an HTTP listener that then
redirects the calls to Mongrel? Is there a project already doing this?

Ok, back to my original question…please. I don’t want to use
Pen/Balance/Pound/Apache/Lighttpd/Litespeed, etc. etc. at the moment.
I’d really just like to know if a pure Ruby app for this exists and if
not where I should start to write my own. (ie: Take a look at Module
XYZ and Project ABC, etc.)

Thanks.

On 7/18/06, Wesley L. [email protected] wrote:

Speed/Efficiency mean nothing to me as my apps are
internal to a company and used by less than 50 people througout the day.

If Speed/Efficiency doesn’t matter then why even bother with Mongrel.
Webrick running in production mode does everything you need it to do and
is
a purely ruby based solution.

Josh

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 20:38 +0200, Wesley L. wrote:

not where I should start to write my own. (ie: Take a look at Module
XYZ and Project ABC, etc.)

Well, you have all the tools available. Mongrel is a web server that
answers requests. Net/http in ruby does requests. After a bit of work
you could probably easily write something. It wouldn’t super duper
fast but it’s possible.


Zed A. Shaw


http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
http://www.railsmachine.com/ – Need Mongrel support?

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs