Reliable multicasting

Does anyone know if anyone of the reliable multicasting protocols
exist implemented in ruby?

Actually what I am really looking for is something like JGroups
implemented in a language-independent way. I mean jgroups pretty much
seems to need java, and I want to integrate something between, java,
ruby and perhaps PHP.

Anyway I figured that if there at least is a reliable multicasting in
ruby, you could create something JGroups-like on top of that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/Christoffer

On Oct 11, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Christoffer Lernö wrote:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There is a Ruby interface to the Spread toolkit:

Spread: http://www.spread.org/SpreadPlatforms.html
rb_spread: http://rbspread.sourceforge.net/

Gary W.

On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Christoffer Lernö wrote:

Does anyone know if anyone of the reliable multicasting protocols
exist implemented in ruby?

check out spread, there are ruby bindings for it.

http://www.spread.org/SpreadPlatforms.html

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There is a Ruby interface to the Spread toolkit:

Spread: http://www.spread.org/SpreadPlatforms.html
rb_spread: http://rbspread.sourceforge.net/

Ah, I should have mentioned I did check out spread, but its not a
canidate due to its need for a separate daemon process.

/Christoffer

On Oct 11, 2007, at 11:02 PM, Christoffer Lernö wrote:

Ah, I should have mentioned I did check out spread, but its not a
canidate due to its need for a separate daemon process.

maybe it can be done - but it seems any reliable multicasting
platform is going to have this requirement - after all someone needs
to be listening on a port(s) to get messages right?

what’s the alternative to not having a daemon?

btw - email is a good alternative for some applications - it’s pretty
dang reliable :wink:

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

On 12 Oct 2007, at 07:25, ara.t.howard wrote:

On Oct 11, 2007, at 11:02 PM, Christoffer Lernö wrote:

Ah, I should have mentioned I did check out spread, but its not a
canidate due to its need for a separate daemon process.

maybe it can be done - but it seems any reliable multicasting
platform is going to have this requirement - after all someone
needs to be listening on a port(s) to get messages right?
what’s the alternative to not having a daemon?

Well, apparently in JGroups there is no daemon, everything seems to
be handled in each “client” to ensure FIFO, lossless transmission etc.

/C

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs