Regexp Unicode property names strange behavior?

On 1.9.2, I’m seeing an “invalid character property name” error from
Regexp
for the named properties Any, Ascii, and Xdigit, but none of the others.
If
I add the u option to the expression, it works.

All good, with or without u option

[ ‘Alnum’, ‘Alpha’, ‘Blank’, ‘Cntrl’, ‘Digit’, ‘Graph’, ‘Lower’,
‘Print’, ‘Punct’, ‘Space’, ‘Upper’, ‘Word’
].each {|name| puts /\p{#{name}}/ }

Errors raised without u option

[‘Any’, ‘Ascii’, ‘Xdigit’].each {|name| puts /\p{#{name}}/ }

Now it’s good

[‘Any’, ‘Ascii’, ‘Xdigit’].each {|name| puts /\p{#{name}}/u }

I expected that all the names would either require the u option, or they
wouldn’t. If it was just Any and Ascii, I would accept it and move on,
but
Xdigit doesn’t seem to belong with the other two.

Trying to understand why Any, Ascii, and Xdigit are “special”. Any clues
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ammar

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Ammar A. [email protected]
wrote:

Xdigit doesn’t seem to belong with the other two.

Trying to understand why Any, Ascii, and Xdigit are “special”. Any clues
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ammar

It was bad documentation! Xdigit should be XDigit, and Ascii should be
ASCII. Any requires encoding to be specified, which makes sense.

Sorry about the noise.
Ammar

On Oct 23, 2010, at 00:54 , Ammar A. wrote:

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Ammar A. [email protected] wrote:

On 1.9.2, I’m seeing an “invalid character property name” error from Regexp
for the named properties Any, Ascii, and Xdigit, but none of the others. If
I add the u option to the expression, it works.

It was bad documentation! Xdigit should be XDigit, and Ascii should be
ASCII. Any requires encoding to be specified, which makes sense.

dude. help out. where?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Ryan D.
[email protected]wrote:

dude. help out. where?

If I understood your question correctly, then the erroneous docs are at:
http://ruby.runpaint.org/regexps#properties

I submitted an issue against it, with reference to source code, at:
http://github.com/runpaint/read-ruby/issues/issue/68

It has been very difficult finding detailed information about many of
the
1.9 regular expression features. Read Ruby has the most coverage I have
found so far.

Regards,
Ammar

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs