Redirect after login

Hi,

I’m new to Ruby/RoR so please bare with me!

I’m trying to adapt a ruby setup where someone logs in to a bonjour
service via a web browser. I have the login screen which asks for host
and password. There is only one user per host and i can log in fine.
It’s suppose to redirect me to /list in my browser but
doesn’t. Once i’ve entered the correct login credentials and manually
add /list to the address i can see what i want. So the login seems to
work, it just doesn’t redirect me. I need it to redirect me though when
the login is successful.

The part i believe i need to edit;

class JobController < ApplicationController
before_filter :verify_login, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]
before_filter :engine, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’
return false
end

return true

end

which is in my controllers directory.

Any help appreciated!

Hi

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’
return false
end

return true

end

 Can u change it to

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’ and return
false
end
return true
end

Sijo

redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’ and return false

Sijo Kg wrote:

redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’ and return false

what file should this be in? my ApplicationController of JobController?

I tried it individually in both, but to no avail…

Thanks for the speedy response!

Hi
If it is needed by more controllers not only jobs controller you can
move it to application.rb and the filter too…Does it call the filter?

Sijo

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi
If it is needed by more controllers not only jobs controller you can
move it to application.rb and the filter too…Does it call the filter?

Sijo

the before_filter only appears in the job controller.

this is what i have:

#------------------------------#

application_controller.rb

#------------------------------#

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base
helper :all # include all helpers, all the time
protect_from_forgery # See ActionController::RequestForgeryProtection
for details

Scrub sensitive parameters from your log

filter_parameter_logging :password

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
logger.debug “no engine host in session, redirecting to job/index”
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’
return false
end
return true
end
end

#-----------------------------------#

job_controller.rb (1st 21 lines)

#-----------------------------------#

class JobController < ApplicationController
before_filter :verify_login, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]
before_filter :engine, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’
return false
end

return true

end

def index
end

def list
end

def view
@job = engine.getJobForID(params[:id])
end

And i’m sorry but i don’t understand your question about the filter (i
am VERY VERY new to RoR!)

Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

Hi
Please do like
Application controller as it is

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base
helper :all # include all helpers, all the time
protect_from_forgery # See ActionController::RequestForgeryProtection
for details

Scrub sensitive parameters from your log

filter_parameter_logging :password

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
logger.debug “no engine host in session, redirecting to job/index”
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’
return false
end
return true
end
end

In jobs controller you dont need verify_login So

class JobController < ApplicationController
before_filter :verify_login, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]
before_filter :engine, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]

end

Sijo

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi
Please do like
Application controller as it is

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base
helper :all # include all helpers, all the time
protect_from_forgery # See ActionController::RequestForgeryProtection
for details

Scrub sensitive parameters from your log

filter_parameter_logging :password

def verify_login
unless session[:engine_host]
logger.debug “no engine host in session, redirecting to job/index”
redirect_to :controller => ‘job’, :action => ‘index’
return false
end
return true
end
end

In jobs controller you dont need verify_login So

class JobController < ApplicationController
before_filter :verify_login, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]
before_filter :engine, :except => [:index, :login_to_engine]

end

Sijo

Sijo,

This STILL doesn’t work. Could it be because nowhere in here have i told
it where to redirect to? Can i add an IF statement to the def
verify_login in the application controller?

Thanks for your help so far!

Dan

Hi
And what is wrong now? Did you ensure if session[:engine_host] is not
set it enters to unless session[:engine_host]…end
For example write some puts inside unless
session[:engine_host]…end

And check if that happens according to what you specify

Sijo

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi
And what is wrong now? Did you ensure if session[:engine_host] is not
set it enters to unless session[:engine_host]…end
For example write some puts inside unless
session[:engine_host]…end

And check if that happens according to what you specify

Sijo
Sijo,

my apologies, it looks like i wasn’t looking at the right part of the
script (this is how new i am to RoR!)

So, i found the part in the script which tells you about the login
redirection…

a = @e.getSettingsInGroupAtPath("/")

# render :update do |page|
#   if a.size > 0
#     # page.replace_html('logo_text', :partial => 'logo_text')
#     # # page.replace_html('toggle_app_box', :partial => 

‘toggle_box_content’)
# # page.replace_html(‘loginout_links_content’, :partial =>
‘loginout_links_content’)
# # page.visual_effect(:toggle_blind, ‘login_content’, :duration
=> 0.5)
# # # page.replace_html(‘submit_job_box’, :partial =>
‘submit_job’)
# # page.show(‘submit_job_box’)
# # page.show(‘spinner’)
# # page.replace_html(‘all_states’, :partial => ‘all_states’)
# # page.replace_html(‘error_msg’, ‘’)
# # page.call(‘autoInit_trees’)
# else
# page[‘engine_password’].visual_effect(:highlight, :duration =>
3)
# flash[:error] = “wrong password”
# # page.alert flash[:error]
# page.replace_html(‘error_msg’, flash[:error])
# render :nothing => true, :status => 401
# end
# end

if a.size > 0
  puts "logged in"
  session[:engine] = @e
else
  reset_session
  puts "not logged in. reseting session."
end

redirect_to :controller => 'job', :action => 'list'

end

def logout
reset_session
redirect_to :controller => “job”, :action => “index”
end

end

but when i uncomment all of the commented parts, i get a double
render/redirect error…

Hi

There you have to use

and return

  as I said earlier..

Please read 2.2.13 Avoiding Double Render Errors from
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/layouts_and_rendering.html

Sijo

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi

There you have to use

and return

  as I said earlier..

Please read 2.2.13 Avoiding Double Render Errors from
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/layouts_and_rendering.html

Sijo

It still doesn’t work!!

It says that it’s redirected in Terminal, but it doesn’t redirect my
HTML (web browser)…

I’ve done all that you have said, but nothing is working :frowning:

Dan

BUMP BUMP BUMP

Dan Sinclair wrote:

Sijo Kg wrote:

Hi

There you have to use

and return

  as I said earlier..

Please read 2.2.13 Avoiding Double Render Errors from
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/layouts_and_rendering.html

Sijo

It still doesn’t work!!

It says that it’s redirected in Terminal, but it doesn’t redirect my
HTML (web browser)…

I’ve done all that you have said, but nothing is working :frowning:

Dan

Ok, so i think i’ve narrowed it down to where i think i need to
change/add code…

In my job_controller.rb file, i have:

def list
end

so could this be the problem, as i haven’t told it to “point” anywhere?
If so, what would i add to define this as a different webpage?

Dan

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs