Recursive expansition of <% ... %>

In a controller I have
@message = “The size is <% @a.size %>.”

In the view I have

<%= @message %>

which, sadly, produces
The size is <% @a.size %>.

rather than, say,
The size is 4.

If I try
<%= <%= @ message %> %>
I get a syntax error.

Is there a solution?

The <% … %> style of interpolation is specific to ERB templates;
it’s not used to interpolate in Ruby strings. What you’re looking for
is:

@message = “The size is #{@a.size}”

I suggest familiarizing yourself with Ruby before diving into Rails.

Mat B. wrote:

The <% … %> style of interpolation is specific to ERB templates;
it’s not used to interpolate in Ruby strings. What you’re looking for
is:

@message = “The size is #{@a.size}”

I suggest familiarizing yourself with Ruby before diving into Rails.

Ok … I tried to make my problem too simple. Stupid me.

The real problem is closer to this:


Controller:
@message = I18n.t(‘some_msg_id’)


somefile.yml:
some_msg_id: “The size is #{@a.size}”


view:
<%= @message %>


How do I do what I want to do. I want to do the interpolation in the
view and not beforehand.

On Feb 11, 7:01 pm, Ralph S. [email protected] wrote:

How do I do what I want to do. I want to do the interpolation in the
view and not beforehand.

The I18n stuff has a convention for interpolation - take a look at the
docs

Fred

Frederick C. wrote:

On Feb 11, 7:01�pm, Ralph S. [email protected] wrote:

How do I do what I want to do. �I want to do the interpolation in the
view and not beforehand.

The I18n stuff has a convention for interpolation - take a look at the
docs

Also check out fast_gettext. To me, at least, it’s a lot nicer.

Fred

Best,
–Â
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org
[email protected]

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs