To: #{to}
Subject: #{subject}
Date: #{Time.now.strftime("%a %b %e %T %Y %z")}
From: #{@from}

HDRS

  send_message( hdrs + data.join("\n") + ".\n", @from, *to_array)

rescue Net::SMTPFatalError, Net::SMTPSyntaxError
if $! =~ /virtual alias table/ then
retries += 1
STDERR.puts “mail failed #{retries} for #{to}:#{$!}”
spleep(10)
retry if retries <= 2
end
STDERR.puts “mail failed for #{to}:#{$!}”
false
end

I wish to ‘reset’ the smtp session so that I can continue sending email
without doing a finish and another start (i.e. before I retry). Is this
possible? I’ve looked through the docs for net::smtp and not found
anything obvious. I have not looked at the source yet.

Russell

Eric H. wrote:

Thanks very much Eric, I’m sure I could have figured this out for myself
but it would have taken much time and delving into RFCs and source code.

I haven’t submitted a patch for it yet, but this will do it:

Are you going to or should I submit it on your behalf (with appropriate
attribution of course :slight_smile:

Hack in RSET

class Net::SMTP # :nodoc:

unless instance_methods.include? ‘reset’ then
##
# Resets the SMTP connection.

 def reset
   getok 'RSET'