Re: What is your favourite IDE?

Komodo (win)

TextMate!

vim, and when not on Linux, unixutils.

Jason

i am in linux so i have textmate - envy.
scribes comes pretty close, i think, in workflow though.
sk

vim, sometimes JEdit
sk

Well, I should’ve written “vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
count”, but that would’ve given me some flames :wink:

BTW, does textmate support debugging?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:01:07 +0900, John J. wrote:

TextMate!

Geany!

On Apr 12, 2007, at 8:35 AM, ChrisKaelin wrote:

BTW, does textmate support debugging?

Not really. It doesn’t have a built-in debugger, if that’s what you
meant.

James Edward G. II

On 4/12/07, ChrisKaelin [email protected] wrote:

Well, I should’ve written “vi, emacs, irb and commandline do not
count”, but that would’ve given me some flames :wink:

Not a flame: how do they not count?

IDE stands for “Integrated Development Environment”. I can’t speak
for VI users, but Emacs has Ruby source code editing, project
management, the ability to cross-reference code symbols,
auto-completion, source templates, integrated source-level debugging
(if you want it), IRB, and the ability to run your code and tests
right from the editor. What’s missing that it fails to qualify as an
IDE?

i love these favorite editor / ide threads, i am always looking for a
new one to play around with. I have always found the coolest things in
these threads.
sk

Huh? That’s just arbitrary nonsense!
(this may be a flame)
I dare you to define IDE under pain of slashdotting.
(why is slashdot so flamey?)
Seriously though, editors are viable as IDEs if they do the sending
to the compiler/parser.
TextMate, like EMACS is often more of a nexus of tools, but isn’t
that what the “I” in IDE is all about?
From that note, what constitutes debugging? Stepping through a
program with breakpoints? Perhaps, but no. Debugging is simply
removing the bugs by any means necessary.

irb is an unusual case only seriously matched by shell code and
SmallTalk.

Hi all,

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:46:16 +0900, Avdi G. wrote:

(if you want it), IRB, and the ability to run your code and tests
right from the editor. What’s missing that it fails to qualify as an
IDE?

How can this http://platypope.org/yada/emacs-demo/ not be considered an
IDE?

PS - I don’t use Emacs. I use Vim + any nix utilities I need.

Raymond O’Connor wrote:

I’ve used just about every IDE there is and Textmate blows them all out
of the water.

Yes it does … and it’s very inexpensive … less than $100US for the
software, which is not open source, and about $1000US for a base iMac.
:slight_smile:


M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC§
http://borasky-research.net/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.

I’ve used just about every IDE there is and Textmate blows them all out
of the water.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Raymond O’Connor wrote:

I’ve used just about every IDE there is and Textmate blows them all
out of the water.

Yes it does … and it’s very inexpensive … less than $100US for the
software, which is not open source, and about $1000US for a base iMac. :slight_smile:

Does that mean, you’d be willing to donate Textmate and an iMac to me?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:


Phillip “CynicalRyan” Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/
http://clothred.rubyforge.org

Rule of Open-Source Programming #11:

When a developer says he will work on something, he or she means
“maybe”.