Cheers, -Jonny.

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of M Daggett
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2005 12:04 p.m.
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Rails] Re: challenge

I am having a similar problem, I have a category model which is defined
to “acts_as_tree”. The table structure looks like this:

create table categories (
id INT not null auto_increment,
name VARCHAR(200) not null,
parent_id int,
description TEXT ,
created_on DATETIME null,
updated_on DATETIME null,
constraint fk_categories_to_categories foreign key (parent_id)
references categories(id),
primary key (id)
);

as you can see the foreign key is a reference to another row in the
table. For the root category I just have (NULL) specified for the
parent_id. However all of my unit tests are blowing up because it cannot
find the parent category for the root category (because it does not
exist).

ERROR MESSAGE:

  1. Error:
    test_create(CategoryTest):
    ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: #23000Cannot delete or update a parent
    row: a foreign key constraint fails (itsthes_test/categories,
    CONSTRAINT fk_ categories_to_categories FOREIGN KEY (parent_id) REFERENCES
    categories (id)): DELETE FROM categories

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks!
Mark

On 11/14/05, Joe B. [email protected] wrote:
thanks all the guys reply my “challenge”.
and “liquid” give us a good link
it’s solve this kind of problem.
here:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToCreateASelfReferentialManyToManyRelationship

cheers

Rails mailing list

I am Mark Daggett and I approve this message.

Hey Jonathan,
You are exactly right. It seems the real trick is not to just use a
structured YAML file but to also inform the test how to load and remove
records for use in the fixture. Right now my tests are all breaking
because
I have one table of images that contains a foreign key to its respective
category. The category in turn has a key to its parent. When the
fixtures
run for the first test it creates the images but when it comes time to
delete the categories and create them again for the next test it bombs
because of the image’s dependencies implicit in the foreign key
relationship.

Seems pretty tricky but at the same time foreign keys seems so obvious
and
necessary that the fact that I am struggling at it makes me feel I am
using
rails wrong (especially since it is so database centric). I am using
MYSQL
and I am wondering if I might have less problems using POSTGRES or
something. Thanks for your tip, I’ll try it out and report back.

Mark