From: Jarkko L. [email protected]
To: rspec-users [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:49:17 PM
Subject: Re: [rspec-users] params not available for controller specs?

On 4.12.2007, at 23.11, Al Chou wrote:

I think Jarkko is saying that no spec should have been written for
the code I was trying to fix/change. I’m not sure I would agree
that BDD/RSpec is an inappropriate tool for documenting what I was
trying to change, but I think he would argue that…

What I was saying was that I think it’s important that Order.find gets

called with an array of ids. That’s what you want to happen and to
have in your spec, right? So in your spec, you’d have

it “should find orders with an array of ids” do
Order.should_receive(:find).with([“1”, “2”, “3”])
get :download, :ids => “1/2/3”
end

(or whatever ids you pass to the action).

Now, if the current, buggy behaviour just passes the string as “1/2/3”

to Order.find, the spec above will break, because it will not receive
an array but a string. After you add the split(“/”) call to the actual

code, your broken spec is fixed, and the code works as expected. Tada!

No need to stub String#split anywhere.

//jarkko

Jarkko L.

http://www.railsecommerce.com