Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:35:14 -0600 (MDT)
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: One-Click Installer: MinGW? or VC2005?

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Austin Z. wrote:

On 7/18/06, U.Nakamura [email protected] wrote:

Even if you choose either, you will have to compile all sources
by the compiler as which you chose.

Mmm. This may or may not be the case. This is why I have been trying
to collect information for an ongoing conversation with Microsoft.
They are … concerned that we are still using VC6 as our compiler and
want to see what can be helped to provide better support for moving
Ruby to VC8.

here’s an example showing the abis of the c libs are not compatible:

Ara@windozer C:/msys/1.0/home/Ara/build/narray-0.5.8
$ /c/ruby/bin/ruby -r ./narray.so -e’ p NArray ’
./narray.so: 127: The specified procedure (isacii) could not be
found. -
./narray.so (LoadError)

Ara@windozer C:/msys/1.0/home/Ara/build/narray-0.5.8
$ /c/usr/local/bin/ruby -r ./narray.so -e’ p NArray ’
NArray

to reproduce

  • install msys

  • build an msys ruby:

    • export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/c/usr/local/lib
    • export LD_RUN_PATH=/c/usr/local/lib
    • download ruby
    • unpack
    • ./configure --prefix=/c/usr/local && make && make install
  • download and build narray using msys ruby:

    ruby extconf.rb && make && make install

if you’ve managed to install both the one-click and an msys ruby this
script
will demonstrate the issue (obviously run it from msys command line):

 #! /bin/bash

 msys_ruby="/c/usr/local/bin/ruby"
 one_click_ruby="/c/ruby/bin/ruby"

 unset RUBYOPT

 cd ~
 mkdir build 2>/dev/null
 cd build

 curl http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/7658/narray-0.5.8.tar.gz

narray-0.5.8.tar.gz

 tar xvfz narray-0.5.8.tar.gz
 cd narray-0.5.8
 $msys_ruby extconf.rb && make && make install
 $msys_ruby -r narray -e'  puts "you just installed #{ NArray }"  '

 $msys_ruby -r ./narray.so -e'  p "msys narray success!"  '
 $one_click_ruby -r ./narray.so -e'  p "one_click_ruby narray

success!" ’

 cd ~

i’ll be out of town all weekend, hopefully this is valuable info.

-a