From: Michael F. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:45:53 PM
Subject: [jruby-user] JRuby running on OS X 10.5.4?

I downloaded the BIN of JRuby 1.1.4 (jruby-bin-1.1.4.tar.gz) and
unzipped it into a directory under my home directory
(/User//jruby-1.1.4).

I have made sure that JRUBY_HOME points to /Users/me/jruby-1.1.4 and
that JAVA_HOME points to the Java 1.5.xx implementation on my machine.
When I then go to the bin folder in JRuby and type “./jruby” I get the
following:

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/jruby/Main

Having switched from a Win machine not too long ago it seems harder to
get JRuby running on my Mac. Any idea what I did wrong?

Michael F. wrote:

Thanks to those who replied.

I believe that it was a combination of needing:

JRUBY_HOME set to the correct ‘bin’ directory
PATH including a reference to the same jruby-1.1.4/bin directory

When these were correct I was able to run jruby --version and get a response. And yes - the Wiki is painfully light on OS X stuff. A step by step install guide or some such would be excellent for the Mac people. Especially the newbies to both Ruby and OS X.

The best way to get a setup guide would be to create a skeleton based on
your experience and ask for input. Then we can revise and discuss it.

  • Charlie