Re: Jruby in a service

Sure. For example I have a program that needs to run and act like a
synchronization service between 2 systems. I am getting data from one
system
and it’s getting plugged into a database on my system. Then my service
either
is notified about, or maybe periodically polls for, the new data. When
it
determines there is new data, it is responsible for unpacking that data
and
doing stuff with it.

We have a number of other service based programs.

We would like all our services to have a consistent/common interaction
mechanism from a management sense. We would like to be able to start
them,
stop them, restart them, figure out if it’s running or not. Basically,
the
“clients” would only be telling a service to perform these actions.

In windows, there is infrastructure for a service where you get all the
“goo”
around start, stop etc. (you just plug your business logic in)

In java it appears that I could use the java service wrapper to achieve
something similar.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is:
a) If I used something like JSW, how easy is it to launch the jrubyvm
programatically from within a jvm, Is it easy to notify the Jruby
program of a
shutdown, stop, status request?
b) does something like this already exist? (if not I’ll start with the
JSW
and see where I can go from there)
c) Is there a different way (in your opinion) I should be attacking
this
feature? I’m recently coming to jruby from the windows/.net world so
I’m
totally willing to believe I may be on the wrong track here :stuck_out_tongue:

Does this help clarify or confuse?
Thanks a bunch.
Jay

=====================
From: Tyler J. [email protected]
Date: 2008/06/04 Wed PM 12:53:33 EDT
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [jruby-user] Jruby in a service

“Service” is pretty broad, could you tell us a little more about what
this service needs to do and how clients will interact with it?

-Tyler J.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Jay McGaffigan

windows to *nix but the timing isn’t set in stone yet so I need some

I use the software from

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/download.jsp

to run cruisecontrol.rb dashboard (ror) and builders with jruby as
windows services.

Manfred

Jay McGaffigan [email protected] schrieb am Wed, 04 Jun 2008
12:26:11 -0500 (CDT):

interaction mechanism from a management sense. We would like to be

offerings. In addition to having a couple of rails apps we also
(but I have a lot of learning to do on that part :))

Manfred U. [email protected]

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Manfred U. [email protected]

ICG IT Consulting GmbH Tel. +49/0 69 333 623
Bahnstrasse 5c Fax +49/0 69 306 845
D-65835 Liederbach, Germany Mobil +49/0 171 68 23 750

Manfred U. E-Mail [email protected]

Nachtigallenweg 2 Tel. +49/0 6192 90 11 97
D-65719 Hofheim Fax +49/0 6192 90 11 98
Germany Mobil +49/0 171 68 23 750