RE: Ideal Ruby on Rails Development Environment on Linux

Dustan,

I think Postgresql would be a nice addition. I for one use it a lot,
but finding web hosts that support it is difficult. Also, the
phpMyAdmin and phpPgAdmin are nice-to-have’s (no flames from the
hard-core console users please :wink:

Anyway, that’s my contribution. Good luck with your effort, and post
back once it’s alive.

Nathan

+1 on Nathan’s and Ross’s comments.

What about lighttpd?

On 6/29/06, Andrew S. [email protected] wrote:

+1 on Nathan’s and Ross’s comments.

Ditto. Postgresql has become a lot more popular in the last couple of
years.

Hi Blair,

Well, yeah. Me too.

But I already run apps on lighttpd, and there’s probably room for
lighttpd
in between apache and mongrel. Don’t you think so?

  • S

Stephen S. wrote:

What about lighttpd?

See this blog article:

http://duncandavidson.com/essay/2006/06/webaspipe

I would rather see mongrel.

Regards,
Blair

Blair Z., Ph.D.
[email protected]
Subversion training, consulting and support
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/

On 6/29/06, Stephen S. [email protected] wrote:

Hi Blair,

Well, yeah. Me too.

But I already run apps on lighttpd, and there’s probably room for lighttpd
in between apache and mongrel. Don’t you think so?

  • S

Do phpMyAdmin and phpPgAdmin run on lighttpd?
-L

On Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 05:43:18PM -0700, Larry K. wrote:

Do phpMyAdmin and phpPgAdmin run on lighttpd?

yep. and websvn, and all the other little php apps that make development
easier/better/faster/convenient

i suspect it wouldnt be too hard to get mongrel to exec php-cgi,
although i havent investigated

Best Regards,
-Larry
“Work, work, work…there is no satisfactory alternative.”
— E.Taft Benson

In my opinion, if you are going to be running apache and “something”,
let it
be apache and mongrel. Seems like the best option if you already have an
established server that has been running apache, bunch of php/perl apps,
etc, in a multi-host environment. If you have the luxury of getting away
with running one (new server setup), then probably go with lighttpd
because
then you can use php.