Paul

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Vamsee K.
Sent: 27 February 2006 15:18
To: [email protected]
Subject: [typo] How to get “Read More” link

Hi all,

Is there anyway I can limit the number of words in a given entry? Like,
show them a little description, followed by a link “Read More”.
Clicking on which will lead to the actual article. Sorry if this has
been asked before, I couldn’t find anything on the archives.

Thanks,
Vamsee.

This email and any attachments are confidential. They may contain
privileged information and are intended for the named addressee(s) only.
They must not be distributed without Perfect Information’s consent. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and do
not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part of it. Unless
expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual
sender, and not of Perfect Information. We believe but do not warrant
that this e-mail and any attachments do not contain any form of virus.
You must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking. Perfect
Information reserves the right to monitor all email communications
through their networks.

Actually, I?ve done this on my blog (http://uzair.nairang.org), and it?s
fairly simple. The tricky thing is that when you truncate the article on
the
front page, you have to sanitize the HTML and close any open tags, so
that
you don?t get inconsistent formatting because of, say, an open italics
tag.

In my themes/hemingway/articles/index.rhtml, I?ve got this (lines 9-14):

	<h3><%= article_link article.title, article %></h3>
	<%= truncate(article.body_html, 500) %>
		Posted at <%= article.created_at.strftime("%I").to_i

The truncate() call returns just the first 500 characters of the
article,
sanitizing it first. I put the sanitizing function in
app/helpers/application_helper.rb, since that’s where the strip_html()
function etc. are. If you like, I can send you my copy.

Cheers,

Uzair