From: Luis L. [email protected]
To: rspec-users [email protected]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 3:29:04 PM
Subject: Re: [rspec-users] Getting RSpec 1.1.4+ to Work with Autotest
(ZenTest 3.10.0) on Windows (Win32)

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Charles G. [email protected]
wrote:

rspec
so the autotest executable won’t automatically load rspec anymore. This
allows
rspec to live side by side other spec frameworks without always co-opting
autotest through autotest’s discovery mechanism.

Dunno if this funny, but I’m running right now with the exact same
combination of components and autotest picks my updated spec and files
(even the ones in lib).

autotest_cmd = “call #{autotest_cmd}” if RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /mswin/
system autotest_cmd

I have submitted a ticket requesting that autospec be updated accordingly.

Lighthouse - Beautifully Simple Issue Tracking

The upcoming version of Ruby (1.8.6 after patchlevel 114) will include
a fix for this issue, which I described in this post (less quirks for
us section):

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2008/04/24/contributions-speedup-and-less-quirks-for-us/

So there is no need to prepend ‘call’ or “.bat” on Windows anymore
(also, you should consider mswin AND mingw as valid platforms :wink:

Regards,

Luis L.
AREA 17

disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Charles G. [email protected]
wrote:

things to fly until I started using autospec. Just curious.
When we introduced autospec, we also changed the way rspec identifies
itself to autotest such that an ENV var must be present (which is set
by autospec) - so no, the autotest command won’t work.

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:11 AM, David C. [email protected]
wrote:

directly should still work given the history comment, but I could not get
things to fly until I started using autospec. Just curious.

When we introduced autospec, we also changed the way rspec identifies
itself to autotest such that an ENV var must be present (which is set
by autospec) - so no, the autotest command won’t work.

Hmn, really?

rspec, commit 5bb989c6a54e325198e180ef3d4e59b5bf6eb21c
rspec-rails: commit 9a1e10e7b71f7e8e4fb910a9695ee69abec63816

http://pastie.org/private/gwgvkbhpbvhvtquslwe6g

But in any case, if you say that I should use script/autospec, then I
should :slight_smile:

Luis L.
AREA 17

disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Luis L. [email protected]
wrote:

autospec or autotest from the command line? It seems like running autotest
rspec, commit 5bb989c6a54e325198e180ef3d4e59b5bf6eb21c
rspec-rails: commit 9a1e10e7b71f7e8e4fb910a9695ee69abec63816

http://pastie.org/private/gwgvkbhpbvhvtquslwe6g

Hmm. Well, it’s not supposed to work :slight_smile: We added autospec specifically
so that it wouldn’t. Check out
Lighthouse - Beautifully Simple Issue Tracking and
Add autospec binary to allow other spec frameworks to use autotest. [… · dchelimsky/rspec@c12b4e0 · GitHub.
Any reason that shouldn’t work on windows?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM, David C. [email protected]
wrote:

Hmm. Well, it’s not supposed to work :slight_smile: We added autospec specifically
so that it wouldn’t. Check out
Lighthouse - Beautifully Simple Issue Tracking and
Add autospec binary to allow other spec frameworks to use autotest. [… · dchelimsky/rspec@c12b4e0 · GitHub.
Any reason that shouldn’t work on windows?

Besides because is Windows? :wink:
(just kidding)

There is no specific code there,

This are my .autotest and ~/.autotest contents:

http://pastie.org/private/chano8j5px7izztck0t6tw

One thing I noticed is that using script/autospec spec modifications
get picked, but after successfully run they do not try to do a full
run…
(try running the whole spec files).

On the other hand, autotest try run the modified specs and then run
a full check on all the specs (expected behavior).

This is the output from script/autospec:

http://pastie.org/private/bsbyyyppir7ica5moheqtg

Just checked that ENV[‘RSPEC’] get set using script/autotest (inside
.autotest)

puts ENV[‘RSPEC’]

Output:

true

When called from autotest directly, I get:

nil

Dunno if that helps.

I’m using Rails 2.1.0 (from gems), RSpec and RSpec rails latest
commits as plugins and ZenTest 3.10.0

Luis L.
AREA 17

disinclination to do so.