Re: Eating CPAN - Was Port A Library


#1

On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

having Ruby rewrites of the important/useful libraries would be
much better.

Which are the most important/useful libraries? I might like to try my
hand at one.

Steve


#2

I would also like to know the answer to that question


#3

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:35:17 +0900, Molitor, Stephen L
removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:=20

having Ruby rewrites of the important/useful libraries would be
much better.

Which are the most important/useful libraries? I might like to
try my hand at one.

In all honesty, and without being snide or facetious – the most
import/useful libraries are the ones you think are. Hop on over to
CPAN and when you see something important/useful to you that doesn’t
exist on RAA, there you go :slight_smile:

andrew


#4

On 2/21/06, Molitor, Stephen L removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

having Ruby rewrites of the important/useful libraries would be
much better.

Which are the most important/useful libraries? I might like to try my
hand at one.

Maybe someone should start with

http://search.cpan.org/~saper/CPAN-Dependency/lib/CPAN/Dependency.pm

(which won’t help many rubyists directly, but would be a good
way to start a project like this.)


#5

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:43:01 +0900, henon man removed_email_address@domain.invalid
wrote:

On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:=3D20
Which are the most important/useful libraries? I might like to
try my hand at one.

well because you asked, there are soo many useful libs/tools @ CPAN: i.e.

  • UML::Sequence =09- =09draws sequence diagrams by running the code

don’t know about that one …

  • Algorithm::Diff =09Rpdfp =09Diff (also Longest Common Subsequence)
  • Algorithm::Merge =09bpdfp =09Implements 3-way merge and diff algorithms

But you might find these useful:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/diff-lcs/
http://rubyforge.org/projects/merge3/

andrew


#6

On 2/20/06, Edgardo H. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:=20
Which are the most important/useful libraries? I might like to
try my hand at one.

well because you asked, there are soo many useful libs/tools @ CPAN:
i.e.

  • UML::Sequence - draws sequence diagrams by running the code
  • Algorithm::Diff Rpdfp Diff (also Longest Common Subsequence)
  • Algorithm::Merge bpdfp Implements 3-way merge and diff algorithms
    … etc.

:wink:


#7

On 2/21/06, Andrew J. removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 06:43:01 +0900, henon man removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

  • Algorithm::Diff =09Rpdfp =09Diff (also Longest Common Subsequence)
  • Algorithm::Merge =09bpdfp =09Implements 3-way merge and diff algorithms

But you might find these useful:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/diff-lcs/
http://rubyforge.org/projects/merge3/

I did a port of Algorithm::Merge for the recent RubyQuiz #64. [
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/177618 ]
My port had some odd behaviour when running diff3 on a
character-by-character basis, but I wasn’t able to confirm if it was a
porting bug or a problem with the original algorithm. I stopped
working on it when I discovered merge3, which seems to offer better
merging logic anyway, but if anyone is interested in it, I could put
it on rubyforge, I guess.

-Adam