Re: Custom Validation

Thanks Dan. This is just what I was looking for!

----- Original Message ----
From: Dan F. [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:13:18 PM
Subject: [Rails] Re: Custom Validation

Hi Mark,

I’m assuming you want to validate the zipcode when saving (say) an
address. So in your address model, put something like this:

validates_each :zipcode do |model, attr, value|
model.errors.add (attr, “is not valid”) if
Zipcode.find_by_zipcode(value).nil?
end

Where Zipcode is the name of your zipcode model that contains valid
zipcodes. This assumes that zipcodes in the zipcode table are unique.
I don’t think I’ve ever used the word zipcode this many times in a
single email.

-Dan

On 9/18/07, Mark [email protected] wrote:

Hello all,

I’m trying to figure out how to validate a zip code in my user model.
I can validate it’s all nuneric and five digits but I would like to
validate it against a zip code table.

I know I need to create a zipcodes table and assume a zipcodes model.
In the user model, how/where do I call the Zipcode.find ?

Thanks