Re: Convince me to buy TextMate!

What editor is closest to TextMate for the PC?

--------- Original Message --------
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected] [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Rails] Convince me to buy TextMate!
Date: 17/04/06 18:30

I always used UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com) when I developed on
Windows. It has good Ruby support and a good thing about it is that it
has great userbase so you can easily download user created wordfiles,
macros and more. I have not tested UEStudio though.

It’s a little bit more bloated now than it was in earlier version but
I found it quite usable.

On 4/17/06, Ian R. [email protected] wrote:

languages but it does neither support Ruby out of the box nor does it
Rails mailing list

Am 17.04.2006 um 16:33 schrieb Jon Gretar B.:

What editor is closest to TextMate for the PC?

I guess that’s a hard question since the greatest advantage of TM - I
did not mention it here yet - is that your scripts are executed in a
bash. This means you can simply use your Unix skills and easily hook
up any sed, perl, awk, grep, python, ruby - you name it - script or
command you want.

*m

“An open letter to the morons that insist that TextMate kicks the shit
out of BBEdit Pro 8.0”

http://veraperez.com/archives/1195/

Anybody have any thoughts? Is BBEdit Pro better than TextMate?

Joe

On 4/20/06, Tom M. [email protected] wrote:

On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Joe wrote:

“An open letter to the morons that insist that TextMate kicks the shit
out of BBEdit Pro 8.0”

http://veraperez.com/archives/1195/

Anybody have any thoughts? Is BBEdit Pro better than TextMate?

Err… it’s not called “BBEdit Pro”…

On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Joe wrote:

“An open letter to the morons that insist that TextMate kicks the shit
out of BBEdit Pro 8.0”

http://veraperez.com/archives/1195/

Anybody have any thoughts? Is BBEdit Pro better than TextMate?

I’ve used both, was a hardcore BBEdit user before TextMate.

I prefer TextMate. The only things I miss are:

Process Lines Containing

Great feature. Yes, I could write a script for TextMate. :slight_smile:

– Tom M.

Well, I gave TextMate a second try by “importing” a Rails project. I
have to admit I think I like it - it feels straight-forward and clean.
But the drawer screwed me up - I created a folder, then moved and/or
deleted it after importing files, then it deleted the folder on my
server. Grr. I also can’t figure out how to reorder the folders so
they’re alphabetical.

Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
another app, then back to TextMate, Apple’s “spinning beachball” spins
for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat’ing
files, or NFS’ settings could be tweaked, but it’s highly annoying as
is.

Joe

Jon B. wrote:

Joe wrote:

Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
another app, then back to TextMate, Apple’s “spinning beachball” spins
for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat’ing
files, or NFS’ settings could be tweaked, but it’s highly annoying as
is.

http://macromates.com/wiki/Main/FAQ#drawerupdate

Thanks. But I just tried that and TM still gives me the beach ball.

Joe

Joe wrote:

Jon B. wrote:

Joe wrote:

Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
another app, then back to TextMate, Apple’s “spinning beachball” spins
for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat’ing
files, or NFS’ settings could be tweaked, but it’s highly annoying as
is.

http://macromates.com/wiki/Main/FAQ#drawerupdate

Thanks. But I just tried that and TM still gives me the beach ball.

Joe

After scouring the Internet and trying a great many things - various FTP
clients, NFS, investigating other DFS’s, searching for Netdrive/Fuse
-like Mac programs, etc. - I think I have found a way to make TextMate
update remote files in a way I can live with:

http://enure.net/post/article/using-rsync-to-enable-the-project-drawer-in-textmate-while-working-on-a-remote-server

I removed ‘–delete’ from rsync, so session, log, etc. files don’t get
deleted, and added ‘–exclude=.*’ so local .svn directories and
.DS_Store files don’t get uploaded.

Joe

Check out:
http://brosinski.com/stephan/2005/06/14/ruby-on-rails-development-on-windows/

A bunch of good info on configuring UE.

An alternative is here:
http://www.ocssolutions.com/support/ruby/config-ue-for-rails.php

On 5/30/06, subimage interactive [email protected] wrote:

It’s a little bit more bloated now than it was in earlier version but

The highlighting is brilliant - I don’t know any editors besides
and … well importing a project of mine took about 20 seconds (I
Regards,

Jon Gretar B.

seth at subimage interactive
http://www.subimage.com/sublog/

Rails mailing list

Do you have a good wordfile for UE to use with .rhtml files?