Re: 99 bottles of beer...pg57

Thanks :-}

----- Original Message ----
From: Sammy L. [email protected]
To: ruby-talk ML [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2006 11:57:01 AM
Subject: Re: 99 bottles of beer…pg57

Hi Jamison,

The first thing I would do is remove the duplication with:

puts ‘99, Bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer,’
puts ‘take one down, pass it around,’

and put that in the loop. Since your code in the loop does the same
thing, you could just decrement the value of first after printing the
current lyrics, and let that only reside in 1 place instead of two.
This way, if the song changes to something like “take one down, take a
big swig and pass it around,” you only need to change it in one place.

Also, it doesn’t appear the “if first != 1” block will never be
executed (and I don’t see a need for it even if it was), so you could
remove it and just decrement the value of first.

Finally, I think the variable name of first could be better named as to
what it represents. After the first bottle of beer is removed from the
wall, it no longer represents the first bottle. So, I might go with
something like current_bottle, or just anything that describes it better
really.

-Sam