RDoc: How to extend; YAML?

Folks:

I’m wanting to extend RDoc to produce module/class/method etc data in an
alternative format.

Looks like the general principle is to add a generator module, and then
command rdoc to use that using the fmt command line parameter.

OK so far, but two questions:

  1. Project structure

If I want to add an alternative-output extension, what’s the right way
to
structure my project’s files? I could add a generator module in the
directory in the existing library where the library’s rdoc looks for it,
but
that means adding my mess to the library. Or I could copy the entire
library’s rdoc tree to my own space… but copying the library seems
wrong.

  1. yaml

What currently produces the yaml output that’s sitting in:

D:\ruby\share\ri\1.8\system

  1. RDoc Docs?

Are there any good docs on RDoc in general, and extending RDoc
specifically
(aside from the source code)? Googling for “RDoc documentation” is not
very
satisfying :-).

Thanks,

Graham

Graham W.
Microsoft Visio MVP

Graham W. wrote:

Folks:

I’m wanting to extend RDoc to produce module/class/method etc data in an
alternative format.

I needed to do this a while back and just ended up
hacking directly into the intermediary HTML builder
to intercept the internal data structures from that.
After a bit of normalization, YAML is spat out.

When I get home, I will see if I can get a tarball
hosted somewhere or I can mail it to you.

On Sep 1, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Graham W. wrote:

  1. RDoc Docs?

Are there any good docs on RDoc in general, and extending RDoc
specifically
(aside from the source code)? Googling for “RDoc documentation” is
not very
satisfying :-).

Unfortunately, no.


Eric H. - [email protected] - http://blog.segment7.net
This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

Eero S. wrote:

I needed to do this a while back and just ended up
hacking directly into the intermediary HTML builder
to intercept the internal data structures from that.
After a bit of normalization, YAML is spat out.

When I get home, I will see if I can get a tarball
hosted somewhere or I can mail it to you.

RDog also does rdoc source/outputter manipulation, and may offer some
ideas or examples:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rdog


James B.

http://www.ruby-doc.org - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rubystuff.com - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://web2.0validator.com - We’re the Dot in Web 2.0

Eero:

I’m not directly interested in spitting out the yaml, I was interested
in
how the ri yaml had been generated since there wasn’t an evident yaml
rdoc
generator.

As for hacking into the html builder, that’s about what I was
considering
too.

I intended to add a new generator module, based on one or another of the
existing one. But this led to the question I asked, which was how to
structure such a project in a manner that worked with Ruby rather than
against!

BTW, thanks for the offer, but hold off on effort that unless I get
really
stuck.

Thanks,

Graham

“Eero S.” [email protected] wrote in message
news:[email protected]