Rake 0.8.7 needs Ruby 1.8?

Hello…

I am trying to install a Ruby application called Redmine. In order to
create database structure, I have to execute this command: rake
db:migrate

When I run it, a message telling that msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not found
(I’m attaching the complete message). I have downloaded the last ruby
version (1.9.1) and when I install it, it automatically installed rake
0.8.7. Since I have msvcrt-ruby191.dll, why rake is trying to load the
wrong DLL?

This is the environment setting:

RubyGems Environment:

  • RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.6
  • RUBY VERSION: 1.9.1 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 378) [i386-mingw32]
  • INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
  • RUBY EXECUTABLE: C:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe
  • EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: C:/Ruby19/bin
  • RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    • ruby
    • x86-mingw32
  • GEM PATHS:
    • C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
    • C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
  • GEM CONFIGURATION:
    • :update_sources => true
    • :verbose => true
    • :benchmark => false
    • :backtrace => false
    • :bulk_threshold => 1000
  • REMOTE SOURCES:

And these are the gems that were installed automatically:

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.3.5)
actionpack (2.3.5)
activerecord (2.3.5)
activeresource (2.3.5)
activesupport (2.3.5)
mysql (2.8.1)
rack (1.0.1)
rails (2.3.5)
rake (0.8.7)
rmagick (2.12.0)
rubygems-update (1.3.6)

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Jaime

Jaime S. wrote:

Hello…

I am trying to install a Ruby application called Redmine. In order to
create database structure, I have to execute this command: rake
db:migrate

When I run it, a message telling that msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not found
(I’m attaching the complete message). I have downloaded the last ruby
version (1.9.1) and when I install it, it automatically installed rake
0.8.7. Since I have msvcrt-ruby191.dll, why rake is trying to load the
wrong DLL?

This means “you’re running some gem or other that has binaries for 1.8
but not 1.9” what’s your backtrace? (rake --trace I think).
-rp

Hello Roger… by executing that command, I receive this response:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>rake --trace
rake aborted!
No Rakefile found (looking for: rakefile, Rakefile, rakefile.rb,
Rakefile.rb)
C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2377:in
raw_load_rake file' C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2017:inblock
in load
_rakefile’
C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in
standard_exce ption_handling' C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2016:inload_rakefile

C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2000:in `block
in run’

C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in
standard_exce ption_handling' C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1998:inrun’
C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/bin/rake:31:in <top (required)>' C:/Ruby19/bin/rake:19:inload’
C:/Ruby19/bin/rake:19:in `’

Thanks
Jaime

Roger P. wrote:

Jaime S. wrote:

Hello…

I am trying to install a Ruby application called Redmine. In order to
create database structure, I have to execute this command: rake
db:migrate

When I run it, a message telling that msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not found
(I’m attaching the complete message). I have downloaded the last ruby
version (1.9.1) and when I install it, it automatically installed rake
0.8.7. Since I have msvcrt-ruby191.dll, why rake is trying to load the
wrong DLL?

This means “you’re running some gem or other that has binaries for 1.8
but not 1.9” what’s your backtrace? (rake --trace I think).
-rp

Hello Roger… by executing that command, I receive this response:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>rake --trace
rake aborted!

Thanks for doing that. The backtrace I even more desire would be
$ rake db:migrate --trace

My first guess is a bad mysql gem [?] but the backtrace will tell us
better.
-rp

On Apr 1, 2:03 am, Jaime S. [email protected] wrote:

wrong DLL?

Rake do not depend directly of Ruby runtime library either for 1.8 or
1.9, as is pure ruby.

What you might be experiencing is a gem that your application depends
on that do not provide binaries for Ruby 1.9, the version fo Ruby
you’re running.

Please provide the output of “rake db:migrate --trace” from inside
your application folder and not your home/profile directory as you
executed in response to Roger comments.

- x86-mingw32
 -http://rubygems.org/

mysql (2.8.1)
rack (1.0.1)
rails (2.3.5)
rake (0.8.7)
rmagick (2.12.0)
rubygems-update (1.3.6)

My guess will be around rmagick gem, as I’m unaware of it being
distributed as fat-binaries and even less for Ruby 1.9 support.

Since you’re running Ruby from RubyInstaller, those are my
assumptions, but I might be wrong.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs