Rails 3 Migration expecting test gems to be installed?

Hi,

I have gem file set up so only the specific gems are installed/needed
for each environment, so all the test gems like cucumber etc are
grou[ed in test. When i try a rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=staging on
the staging server however i get an error saying XXXX gem is not
installed, please use bundle install. I dont want the test gems
installed on this server however when i run the migration on staging
its expecting them to be installed.

Anyone hit this problem before and how did you sort it, i cant find
anything in the forums?

JB

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 15, 2011, at 8:01 AM, johnnybutler7 [email protected]
wrote:

Anyone hit this problem before and how did you sort it, i cant find
anything in the forums?

Could you post your Gemfile and the error you’re getting? It might be in
the way the Gemfile is written. Also, make sure that whatever gem is
failing is not being required some where else in your app.

B.

thanks,

my gem file is:

source ‘http://rubygems.org

gem ‘rails’, ‘3.0.3’
gem ‘omniauth’
gem ‘pg’, :require => ‘pg’
gem ‘devise’
gem ‘cancan’
gem ‘haml’
gem ‘hpricot’
gem ‘ruby_parser’
gem ‘rails_admin’, :git => ‘git://github.com/sferik/rails_admin.git’
gem ‘acts-as-taggable-on’
gem ‘jquery-rails’
gem “will_paginate”, “~> 3.0.pre2”
gem ‘factory_girl_rails’
gem “paperclip”, “~> 2.3”
gem ‘formtastic’, ‘~> 1.2.0’
gem ‘sunspot_rails’, ‘1.2.1’
gem ‘omniauth’
gem ‘fb_graph’
gem ‘recaptcha’, :require => ‘recaptcha/rails’
gem “friendly_id”, “~> 3.2.1”

group :development do
gem “nifty-generators”
end

group :test do
gem ‘test-unit’
gem “shoulda”
gem “rspec-rails”, “2.0.0.beta.12”
gem ‘cucumber-rails’
gem ‘pickle’
gem ‘capybara’
gem ‘database_cleaner’

gem ‘webrat’

# gem 'webrat', '>=0.7.2.beta.6', :git => 'git://github.com/

orangewise/webrat.git’
gem ‘capybara’
gem ‘factory_girl_rails’
gem ‘ZenTest’
gem ‘redgreen’
gem ‘autotest-rails’
gem ‘autotest’
gem ‘autotest-fsevent’
gem ‘autotest-growl’
gem ‘autotest-notification’
gem “email_spec”
gem “launchy”
gem “Selenium”
gem “selenium-client”
gem “database_cleaner”
gem ‘mongrel’, ‘>= 1.2.0.pre2’
gem “fakeweb”, “>= 1.2.5”
end

When i do a rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=staging

Could not find autotest-fsevent-0.2.4 in any of the sources
Try running bundle install.

Baffling!

I wish I had a hard-and-fast answer for you Johnny, but one question
that comes to mind: is the staging environment somehow “inheriting”
settings from your test environment?

Yes i did bundle install --without test and that worked fine, when i
try the db migrate for staging
i get the error, i could install all the gems as you say rspec is
needed for other stuff possibly but
the actual error for the autotest gem is because its specific to mac,
the staging site is on linux. From reading
the docs it seems to suggest that bundler will know what OS you are on
and install the appropriate gem. The whole point of
the grouping should be exactly for this reason, i shouldnt have to
install test/dev gems on the staging/production server.

Maybe its something silly im doing but but i can see what…

On Apr 18, 11:16am, Frederick C. [email protected]

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM, johnnybutler7
[email protected]wrote:

Maybe its something silly im doing but but i can see what…

You didn’t happen to move over your Gemfile.lock from your mac to your
staging server did you? If you did, try deleting that file and running
the
command again.

B.

On Apr 15, 2:01pm, johnnybutler7 [email protected] wrote:

Anyone hit this problem before and how did you sort it, i cant find
anything in the forums?

did you run bundle install --without test --without development

Some gems (like rspec) used to generate rake files that required rspec
to be loaded, so when rails tried to load your rake tasks it would
fail if those gems weren’t there anymore. They don’t anymore though,
now that everyone has figured out the sensible ways of working with
bundler - I’d try using a current versions of those gems and clearing
out any unneeded rake task files.

Fred

On 19 Apr 2011, at 11:30, johnnybutler7 [email protected] wrote:

Aha thanks, i knew it would be something silly. The docs do suggest
adding the gemfile.lock
to your repository but based on this evidence thats not a good idea.
I will need to find out how to
manage this when deploying, do you add the production gemfile.lock to
the repo…

I’ve never had to do this (and I seen to have many of the test gems you
do (rspec , cucumber etc)

Fred

Aha thanks, i knew it would be something silly. The docs do suggest
adding the gemfile.lock
to your repository but based on this evidence thats not a good idea.
I will need to find out how to
manage this when deploying, do you add the production gemfile.lock to
the repo…

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Frederick C. <
[email protected]> wrote:

I’ve never had to do this (and I seen to have many of the test gems you do
(rspec , cucumber etc)

Fred

I suspected that your Gemfile.lock was set to the dev/test environment
on
your system and therefore was not set for the staging environment that
you
wanted it to be. Even though you said to run it in staging, Rails saw a
Gemlock.file and checked that before executing the Gemfile.

B.

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs