Sven K. wrote:
Hello Tor, the enconding - hint works perfectly, thank You very much!
What leads me to the question why rails 1.9 interprets files as us-ascii
If I understand correctly, this is more of a core Ruby 1.9 issue than a
Rails issue. Ruby 1.9 changed its encoding handling significantly –
probably for the better, but it is more complex than 1.8, from what I
understand. (Take this with a grain of salt. I haven’t used 1.9 yet.)
And hello Marnen, it was just an example, I came across when I tried to
find an error in my application. I was working on the controller and
just needed an array. But as I am a beginner I am absolutely sure I
would have left things like that in the controller instead of putting
them where they belong. So thank You very much too for reminding me.
But no matter if I put my array in the controller or model I need the #
encoding: utf-8 line.
Right. If it comes from the DB, you don’t, at least not that way. In
that case, you need to make sure your DB encoding is correct.
Conclusion for all non-US-collegues: The encoding problem often happens,
when it comes to notices or error-messages I want to show to the user.
Even if I know that my application will be in german it’s worth it to
leave those messages in english and use the localization-files (in my
case de.yml) for the text with special character encodings.
That’s true, but for reasons that have little to do with encoding, and
more with application structure.
(Of course, I believe that all text and source code files should be
Thanks again, lesson learned