RADRAILS installation guide

hi all

is there eany installation guide that explais how to set up RadRails
and how to create a RoR project with eclipse?

thanks

is there eany installation guide that explais how to set up RadRails
and how to create a RoR project with eclipse?

Isn’t this enough? http://www.radrails.org/page/documentation (6 steps)

There is a screencast on how to import an existing project that could
easily be adapted to creating a new project…

Michael,

This is not enough.

The http://www.radrails.org pages are really poor in documentation. It
looks like they do not want to promote their product!!!

Here is a detailed installation guide that explains how to run a
RadRails project
http://wiki.awebfactory.com.ar/awebfactory/published/RadRailsTutorials

Michael S. wrote:

is there eany installation guide that explais how to set up RadRails
and how to create a RoR project with eclipse?

Isn’t this enough? http://www.radrails.org/page/documentation (6 steps)

There is a screencast on how to import an existing project that could
easily be adapted to creating a new project…

Just out of curiousity, what great product have you spent untold hours
of
your precious time on, and donated to the Rails community? Perhaps, we
could all use that one as a standard for ‘proper’ documentation.
-Larry

On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Jose P. wrote:

Michael,

This is not enough.

The http://www.radrails.org pages are really poor in documentation. It
looks like they do not want to promote their product!!!

Here is a detailed installation guide that explains how to run a
RadRails project
http://wiki.awebfactory.com.ar/awebfactory/published/RadRailsTutorials

I think what’s happening is that RadRails isn’t trying to document
how eclipse or ruby on rails work. Which is understandable.

If you’re dissatisfied with documentation, help out! Making a link
to that tutorial on their wiki, or emailing it to [email protected]
would be a great start.

-Mat

i found this to be very frustrating as well. as a newbie on rails, it’s
very hard to find enough information on the best ways to get your
environment configured. i ended up using InstantRails - which is an
already configured Rails environment that you unzip to a directory on
your machine and then you’re up and running.

Jose P. wrote:

hi all

is there eany installation guide that explais how to set up RadRails
and how to create a RoR project with eclipse?

thanks

On Jul 31, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Kaori D’Alessio wrote:

i found this to be very frustrating as well. as a newbie on rails,
it’s
very hard to find enough information on the best ways to get your
environment configured. i ended up using InstantRails - which is an
already configured Rails environment that you unzip to a directory on
your machine and then you’re up and running.

Yeah, I’ll second that. I think a big part of the issue is over-
confidence in the wiki. Which DHH has cited as a regret about the
course of the project.

It seems that the public at large just doesn’t have a lot of talent
for document writing.

You can look at the silver lining though and realize that limited
documentation means you’re close to the cutting edge of development :slight_smile:
-Mat

Mat S. wrote:

On Jul 31, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Kaori D’Alessio wrote:

i found this to be very frustrating as well. as a newbie on rails,
it’s
very hard to find enough information on the best ways to get your
environment configured. i ended up using InstantRails - which is an
already configured Rails environment that you unzip to a directory on
your machine and then you’re up and running.

Yeah, I’ll second that. I think a big part of the issue is over-
confidence in the wiki. Which DHH has cited as a regret about the
course of the project.

It seems that the public at large just doesn’t have a lot of talent
for document writing.

You can look at the silver lining though and realize that limited
documentation means you’re close to the cutting edge of development :slight_smile:
-Mat

that’s so funny you say that because i’ve run into a lot of
organizations who want to jump aboard the rails movement, BUT they cite
the lack of support documentation for dev. tools as a reason not to move
to rails, and thus stay in asp.net or j2ee land.

ruby on rails documentation is ok, so i’ve just decided to command line
everything and write html in notepad++ and let that be it. i can be
very productive this way until the tools/documentation are more mature.

after spending a couple of days troubleshooting eclipse w/ rails, i
switched to instantrails as well, and i’ve been able to move ahead.

Something that I was expecting from RADRails is the possibility of using
the eclipse visual editor to build rhtml pages for ruby. Without a drag
and drop option to create rhtml forms, I do not see how the RADRails
pulgin uses the power of eclipse.

I will try to create a documentation based on mac os x.

thanks

Mark Blair wrote:

Mat S. wrote:

On Jul 31, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Kaori D’Alessio wrote:

i found this to be very frustrating as well. as a newbie on rails,
it’s
very hard to find enough information on the best ways to get your
environment configured. i ended up using InstantRails - which is an
already configured Rails environment that you unzip to a directory on
your machine and then you’re up and running.

Yeah, I’ll second that. I think a big part of the issue is over-
confidence in the wiki. Which DHH has cited as a regret about the
course of the project.

It seems that the public at large just doesn’t have a lot of talent
for document writing.

You can look at the silver lining though and realize that limited
documentation means you’re close to the cutting edge of development :slight_smile:
-Mat

that’s so funny you say that because i’ve run into a lot of
organizations who want to jump aboard the rails movement, BUT they cite
the lack of support documentation for dev. tools as a reason not to move
to rails, and thus stay in asp.net or j2ee land.

ruby on rails documentation is ok, so i’ve just decided to command line
everything and write html in notepad++ and let that be it. i can be
very productive this way until the tools/documentation are more mature.

after spending a couple of days troubleshooting eclipse w/ rails, i
switched to instantrails as well, and i’ve been able to move ahead.

On Jul 31, 2006, at 8:40 PM, Scott B. wrote:

Rails apps.

I am anxiously awaiting the Rails Deployment book though, (hint
hint Ezra!)

Hehe… Working on it. Deployment has changed a lot in the last few
months and I have been updating and writing new stuff to keep up.
Hang in there just a little bit longer :wink:

-Ezra

Rails is still somewhat in early-stage hacker mode. Determined early
adopters recognize the business value of learning Rails right now.
Piece together the info from all the various blogs and wikis. It is
all out there, just not in one tight little package. Takes a little
detective work, but thats part of the fun.

If you need it all handed to you on a silver platter, that costs
money, so just sit on the sidelines for another year or two and I
promise there will be another 20 books out there awaiting your
purchase. But by then everyone and their mother will be able to write
Rails apps.

I am anxiously awaiting the Rails Deployment book though, (hint hint
Ezra!)

And now I need to get back to work and stop procrastinating on mailing
lists. :slight_smile:


Scott B.
Electro Interactive, Inc.
Office: 813-333-5508
http://www.ElectroInteractive.com

This thread is interesting to me. While the documentation may not be
what some are familiar with, I find that there is a lot of information
on Rails via the mailing list, blogs and google.

To be certain, I had zero linux/open source/ruby/rails experience at all
one year ago. We were trying to start a business and wanted to use open
source software primarily because we were on a budget and secondarily
because we didn’t want to get into licensing issues as we grew our
business. I experimented with a few packages written in PHP and got
frustrated. I started looking for an alternative and found Rails. I
can’t say that I never questioned our decision to go open source because
I definitely stepped out of my comfort zone at a time when I probably
should have stayed in it. However, I wouldn’t change a thing now!

I have 10 years of professional development experience in products such
as VB, C#, BizTalk, Siebel, FileNet, etc… so by no means am I a novice
programmer. However, the open source world was completely new to me and
very humbling. I had not even heard of Subversion! I didn’t (don’t)
know anywhere nearly as much as the people that contribute to these
forums know. BUT… I made my way through it even before rails was
officially released.

I use RadRails as a development environment. I found the setup to be
quite easy (for the whole stack). I have subsequently setup rails on a
few other machines via InstantRails which is even easier. And yes, you
can make RadRails work very easily with InstantRails installs.

The value in rails far outweighs the lack of documentation. I got
started with two books - Programming Ruby and Agile Web D. with
Rails (AWDR) and this mailing list. Without either of the three above I
probably would have had a much harder time. It took me less than 30
days to build a completely functional web-based “mini-crm” system for
our business from scratch. This isn’t because I’m good, it’s because
Rails is good. To me, this is amazing. I COULD NOT have done it in
that timeframe without Rails. Our system imports emails, sends custom
email quotes, tracks leads, converts them to orders, tracks the orders,
generates PDF documents for customers and vendors and all kinds of other
stuff. I’m very happy with Rails.

I see a great future for Rails and hope I can capitalize on the
semi-ground floor opportunities that it presents. Anyone working with
Rails now should realize they have not only a great product and a great
set of tools, but also a lot of opportunity if they have the desire. I
do consider myself an early adopter but by no means a hacker. If I can
get through it then anyone can. I limited myself way too long to
Microsoft only development and am quite pleased after stepping out of
it.

BTW… our phone system uses Asterisk (open source PBX) and hasn’t been
touched in almost a year (not even rebooted). We use Thunderbird for
email, OpenOffice for spreadsheets, word processing, etc… Sadly,
desktops are still Microsoft but that is because I can only get away
with so much culture shock at a time! I know one day soon it will all
be Linux!

Thank you Rails. If you are new to Rails then stick with it, use the
forum and buy a book or two - you won’t be disappointed.

Best of luck,

Michael

Michael,

I am also an IT professional, using most of the time the .Net platform.
And something that I like in the .Net and Eclipse environment is the IDE
tools that allows to create very easily forms and reports just dragging
and dropping controls. Also the code behind allows to code in VB or C#
separating the HTML code form the programming code. I hope this
functionality will be integrated in Eclipse/RadRails in one of the
future releases.

Because you decided to use RADRails, I would like to know if you can
share any link where we can find useful information to create Rails
projects.

Thanks

Scott B. wrote:

Michael,

Cool, I actually have a very similar story & background! And I don’t
think we’re unique. Your “mini-crm” sounds great, I’ve built a similar
system for our business (though not quite as extensive as yours sounds
yet). I’d go into it more but I really need to go to bed!

I second the recommendation of the PickAxe and AWDR, as well as Rails
Recipes and Ruby For Rails.


Scott B.
Electro Interactive, Inc.
Office: 813-333-5508
http://www.ElectroInteractive.com

On 8/1/06, Michael M. [email protected] wrote:

can’t say that I never questioned our decision to go open source because

our business from scratch. This isn’t because I’m good, it’s because
do consider myself an early adopter but by no means a hacker. If I can


Rails mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


Scott B.
Electro Interactive, Inc.
Office: 813-333-5508
http://www.ElectroInteractive.com

Michael,

Cool, I actually have a very similar story & background! And I don’t
think we’re unique. Your “mini-crm” sounds great, I’ve built a similar
system for our business (though not quite as extensive as yours sounds
yet). I’d go into it more but I really need to go to bed!

I second the recommendation of the PickAxe and AWDR, as well as Rails
Recipes and Ruby For Rails.


Scott B.
Electro Interactive, Inc.
Office: 813-333-5508
http://www.ElectroInteractive.com

On 8/1/06, Michael M. [email protected] wrote:

can’t say that I never questioned our decision to go open source because

our business from scratch. This isn’t because I’m good, it’s because
do consider myself an early adopter but by no means a hacker. If I can


Rails mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


Scott B.
Electro Interactive, Inc.
Office: 813-333-5508
http://www.ElectroInteractive.com

Jose P. wrote:

When I said:

I like in the .Net and Eclipse environment is the IDE
tools that allows to create very easily forms and reports just dragging
and dropping controls. Also the code behind allows to code in VB or C#
separating the HTML code form the programming code. I hope this
functionality will be integrated in Eclipse/RadRails in one of the
future releases.

I mean that I would like to see in RadRails the dragging

and dropping controlls functionalities

Jose,

Your comments:

… I mean that I would like to see in RadRails the dragging and
dropping controlls functionalities…

… Also the code behind allows to code in VB or C# separating the HTML
code form the programming code…

My Reply:

Visual Studio .NET is an awesome development tool. The code-behind
feature was one of just many significant improvements over the earlier
versions of Visual Studio. While RadRails isn’t there yet, I think you
may find as you write your projects that you can do away with that
functionality. Drag-Drop placement of controls/layout would be cool,
but the code-behind is not at all necessary in my opinion. Regardless,
I have found that I’m pretty efficient in RadRails even without the .NET
type of functionality. I miss the debug facilities of .NET tremendously
as well as code completion (ctrl space), but I can also say that I
haven’t explored in depth those features for Ruby/Rails. Funny thing
is…I don’t have to debug as much because most of this stuff just
“works.” Seriously - connecting to and reading from the db, paginating,
sorting, searching, etc…you aren’t building custom controls to handle
this stuff - it just works with the framework.

As for useful links - I strongly urge you to purchase the two books that
I mentioned in an earlier post. I also find the Wiki at Ruby On Rails
useful when I KNOW what I’m looking for. There is a “getting started”
guide somewhere for rails and I think it is titled “Rolling with Rails.”
The following links are on my favorites and may be beneficial:

http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/
http://blog.nanorails.com/pages/rails_1.1_cheat_sheet
http://www.rubyinside.com/19-rails-tricks-most-rails-coders-dont-know-131.html
http://www.rubyinside.com/16-rjs-resources-and-tutorials-for-rails-programmers-5.html

and of course:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/3

The Search feature is down, so you can use google to search it or find
all of these posts at this URL:
http://www.nabble.com/RubyOnRails-Users-f13831.html

I have subsequently purchased an ebook on RJS templates called “RJS
Templates for Rails” (if you are going to use AJAX or have rails
generate your javascript then it is a huge plus). You can find a link
to it from the 16-rjs-resources… url above.

I try to make a daily habit of reading these forums. Some stuff doesn’t
interest me, but most of it does. You can absorb a lot of information
just by reading the replies to questions. Much of it won’t matter until
you actually start a project.

If you are going to stay on Windows then you may as well use
InstantRails for your initial setup. Once you have done that, search
this forum to figure out how to get RadRails fully functional with the
InstantRails install. Also, give http://softiesonrails.com/ a look - it
is geared for those of us with Microsoft backgrounds.

Dive in! I have historically found the best way to learn anything is by
getting thrown in the fire. The fire isn’t as hot if you at least
purchase the AWDR book and give it a quick read. You can read the
entire book in a day. Don’t worry about memorizing everything - just
read it fast, grasp the concepts then go back and re-read or reference
as necessary. I’m confident it will give you enough of the “big
picture” so that you can get up and running quickly.

Let me know if I can provide any other info…

Regards,

Michael

Michael, my man, you think your company is willing to license your
mini-crm tool? I need something similar to what you’ve built and was
going to build in RoR, but if you have something that meets my needs, if
the price is right, I’d buy a version of it.

Kaori D’Alessio wrote:

Michael, my man, you think your company is willing to license your
mini-crm tool? I need something similar to what you’ve built and was
going to build in RoR, but if you have something that meets my needs, if
the price is right, I’d buy a version of it.

Kaori,

I actually want to open source our tool - but haven’t had the time to
get around to making it “generic” enough for other industries and would
like to do that before I set it into the wild for people to scrutinize!
:slight_smile: It would be very easy to modify and I definitely would like to talk
to you in further detail. I can send some screenshots for you too.
Someday soon I’ll put a demo version of it online - maybe in the next
week. Until then I can let you see what it is about a different way.

Please email me at mmodica at cox dot net or codeslush at yahoo dot com
and we can figure out how to chat off this mailing list.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael

thank you for all the information you shared here.

Modica wrote:

Kaori D’Alessio wrote:

Michael, my man, you think your company is willing to license your
mini-crm tool? I need something similar to what you’ve built and was
going to build in RoR, but if you have something that meets my needs, if
the price is right, I’d buy a version of it.

Kaori,

I actually want to open source our tool - but haven’t had the time to
get around to making it “generic” enough for other industries and would
like to do that before I set it into the wild for people to scrutinize!
:slight_smile: It would be very easy to modify and I definitely would like to talk
to you in further detail. I can send some screenshots for you too.
Someday soon I’ll put a demo version of it online - maybe in the next
week. Until then I can let you see what it is about a different way.

Please email me at mmodica at cox dot net or codeslush at yahoo dot com
and we can figure out how to chat off this mailing list.

Thanks,

Michael

I think RadRails is awesome!!

Perhaps they are lacking documentation but I have followed them since
version 0.3 and I must say they are working really hard to make this
thing properly. The whole community should be the ones commenting and
increasing the documentation. However, if there are some new features,
the community will not know unless they tell us :slight_smile:

I have been trying to setup the new Rake tasks view but it appears not
to be working. I can’t see any of tasks. Is that supposed to happen? Is
it a bug? Can anyone help me here

Cheers

This forum is not affiliated to the Ruby language, Ruby on Rails framework, nor any Ruby applications discussed here.

| Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Remote Ruby Jobs