Da: Morton G. [mailto:[email protected]]
Inviato: mercoledì 2 agosto 2006 13.09
A: ruby-talk ML
Oggetto: Ruby Cookbook

Anyone care to post their first impressions on Ruby Cookbook? I haven’t
seen it yet. I’d like hear what others think of it before buying or not.

Regards, Morton

-----Messaggio originale----- Da: Morton G. [mailto:[email protected]]
Inviato: mercoledì 2 agosto 2006 13.09 A: ruby-talk ML Oggetto: Ruby Cookbook

Anyone care to post their first impressions on Ruby Cookbook? I haven’t seen it yet.
I’d like hear what others think of it before buying or not.

Disclaimer: I’m a total Ruby newbie, so anything that collects together
a great deal of
information and examples about Ruby in one place is going to be looked
upon favourably.

I’ve found the Ruby Cookbook to be an essential companion to the pickaxe
book. The layout
of the Cookbook is an easier format for me to access - the problems are
listed in the
contents, logically grouped, so I can go directly to where a potential
solution awaits. I
was always flipping through the pickaxe book (paper and pdf) looking for
a particular
example (that I was sure I saw just a few pages back :o) hence my
liking the Cookbook
layout. And even the examples for the first couple of chapters (string
and number
manipulation) are replete with nuggets of Ruby that you can apply in
other situations as well.

The one thing that would make this book better would be if it was
available in pdf format
like the pickaxe book. :o)

cheers,

paulv

Paul van Delst wrote:

The one thing that would make this book better would be if it was available in pdf format
like the pickaxe book. :o)

I believe Oreilly’s policy is that you can get the final PDF only if
you purchase during the period when the book is available for purchase
as a Rough Cuts draft PDF.