From: discuss-gnuradio-bounces+trondeau=removed_email_address@domain.invalid
[mailto:discuss-gnuradio-bounces+trondeau=removed_email_address@domain.invalid] On Behalf Of >
Steven C.
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 4:16 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Quick Costas Loop question

Is there any reason why the Costas carrier recovery loop used in the
dqpsk.py example would not be suitable for similar use
in a gmsk receiver?

TIA
-Steven

Steven,

You should be able to. I’ve used it in an AM receiver before to get
better
carrier lock. The GMSK is fairly tolerant of frequency offsets, though,
so
the Costas loop would increase the computational complexity and it
shouldn’t
be necessary (except under exceptional circumstances) that a change in
frequency wouldn’t correct. The FM receiver and the M&M do a bit of
carrier
correction themselves. Top of my head, I think about ±4 kHz max.

Tom