I need some help with characters (charactersets):
I have “special characters” in some db fields. When those fields are
used for the composition of an email, those “special characters” show up
screwed up in the email text, for example:
- a ‘Ã¼’ in my db becomes a ‘ÃƒÂ¼’ in the email body.
- a ‘Ã©’ in my db becomes a ‘ÃƒÂ©’ in the email body.
I suppose this has something to do with the choice of the charactersets,
but I don’t know where the “bug” exactly lies…
in phpMyAdmin, I can see that
- MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
Furthermore, I have set the following to “latin1_general_ci”:
- MySQL connection collation
- the collation of the entire db
- the collation of all tables
- the collation of all columns (that have the type “varchar”)
And: I used http://www.collation-charts.org/mysql60/ to check that my
charset/collation “latin1_general_ci” really contains the characters
needed (Ã¶, Ã¼, Ã©, etc.), so I think that must be the right choice.
Thank you for any help with this!